11 Year Old Pitching Speed and Accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
When I work with younger kids I will tell them I want them to throw the ball hard. I don't care where the ball goes, just throw it hard. I'll ask them if anyone has ever told them that before. They all shake their head sideways. Then I'll point to the pitcher's plate and tell them when everything is good at that end the other end of the pitch will take care of itself. Once they know it's okay to miss and it's part of the learning process they relax and throw harder. Most times the control comes around after a period of time. The hardest part is to make sure the parents know what is going on and make sure they understand what's being worked on.

Often I will use an NFL analogy. There are plenty of time you hear an interview with a rookie and they will say something like the "game is coming to them" or the "game is slowing down" for them. The game isn't slowing down. They have raised their level of play to match the game speed and they are comfortable with it. Then I will tell them you need have your #10 effort feel like it's a #7.

The young mind is a powerful thing once they believe they can do something. It's finding the way to get them there that can be a challenge sometimes.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
That speed sounds like it is on the slower end of that age group for players with good mechanics and game experience. You should not worry about speed unless you know it is supported by good mechanics. The better the mechanics are the better the speed will be for your daughters age and build. Consider using speed as a indicator of the quality of the details of her pitching technique. Fix flaws to increase speed.

If her technique is good I would guess she should be in the top 25% of good travel pitchers for her age. If she is not, there are mechanical issues.

Sounds pretty normal and definitely not concerning. If she isn't already doing it, fitness work can add a couple MPH. Core strengthening, plyos, stairs, easy weights, etc. (I can hit 58-60 in a walkthrough, but being old and gimpy--struggle with 55 in regular motion. I can feel the lack of power from my legs, especially with the 2 step.)
yes ken that's exactly what we are doing at the moment in conjunction with her working on the breaking pitches (especially the rise) she's been working on her core more along with her hitting the weights now at the gym. coach Mook her PC is keying in on her legs a lot during practice.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I always here in this forum about speed, speed, speed. I have a daughter that just turned 11 years old in October and she throws 40-42mph but can hit all 6 of her spots pretty consistently and also has a great drop ball and change up. We are working on Riseball and Screwball which she can do it just doesn't move yet until she does mature and gain more speed. Her screwball moves a little but nothing like a mature 14-18 year old. Am I right with this statement or should I be gaining more speed with her???

People have different opinions on the subject, but I think 5 pitches for an 11 year old is 2 too many....focus on the fastball, change up and drop. A lot of people discount fastballs but if a pitcher can hit her spot and the has some late movement on it, it can be a very effective pitch - my DD still throws them regularly at 18U. If you want to keep practice interesting try throwing a 2-seam and a 4-seam fastball. The 2-seam has more movement and the 4 seam has become my DD's "gotta be a strike" pitch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez