11' to 12' arm going behind back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
Destin, Florida
Great ?. No, we have been gradual with it. No problem at all with overhand throw. Would it be a good idea to give some more reps with 11 since she has better form with that or would that be mistake? She is not small so I am not sure what causing this?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have another idea, since you say she is not small. First off, take away any back swing at all. Start with the ball and both hands together, either at her right hip or at her belly button and have her pitch from there. No pre-motion. If she can do that, great. Have her eliminate the back swing. See the Bill Hillhouse videos.

2nd thought - Go to an even bigger ball. Have her toss a 16 inch ball around, then a 14 inch and then the 12 inch ball. At that point she will say how small it feels. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I feel your pain. 45 drill was our saving grace. Still pops up here and there but that was it for us. Hers was so bad we talked about giving pitching up all together

May 24, 2013
Destin, Florida
I have another idea, since you say she is not small. First off, take away any back swing at all. Start with the ball and both hands together, either at her right hip or at her belly button and have her pitch from there. No pre-motion. If she can do that, great. Have her eliminate the back swing. See the Bill Hillhouse videos.

2nd thought - Go to an even bigger ball. Have her toss a 16 inch ball around, then a 14 inch and then the 12 inch ball. At that point she will say how small it feels. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Thank you all so much for the time and suggestions. I will have her try eliminating the backswing and see what happens. We have a bigger ball so will use that as well.

May 24, 2013
Destin, Florida
I feel your pain. 45 drill was our saving grace. Still pops up here and there but that was it for us. Hers was so bad we talked about giving pitching up all together

Wow, I hear you. Is 45 degree where arm goes up and down without full circle? Is so she does that one great - it is the full pitch that is the problem. How long did it take u to correct it?

Jun 24, 2009
My DD pitched for our 10U travel team last fall and spring and really progressed well. She was hitting her spots with great regularity, had pretty decent speed, and a nice changeup. After the season we took 2 weeks off and then started with the 12' ball in preparation for the fall season in 12u. For some reason she has totally changed her mechanics and is bringing the ball way behind her back resulting in extreme loss of speed and control. When she pitches to her own glove as Hillhouse recommends her circle is great. She is great doing 45 degree drill only bringing her arm up halfway and then down. On the full pitch her circle is just way behind the back. Any ideas on why this would happen with the 12' ball and how to correct?
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/15097-dds-arm-circle-hopefully-better.html
Give this a read.(Good stuff)

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
We are going through the same thing. I never thought of what Amy suggested but wished I would have. My thought was....try not to draw attention to the change so we just moved backed to 40 ft and started with the bigger ball. First thing I noticed was she was missing inside and ofcourse decreased velocity. I really havent been too worried about it because I thought she would adjust and she has to some extent. I began thinking about what was different about the whole process rather than just looking at her mechanics. The two things that are different are the extra five feet and the bigger ball. In my opinion, the distance is not the issue.....the bigger ball is. The reason the bigger ball is the culprit, IMO, is because of hand size. The ball increased by an inch overnight but the hand did not. That has to have something to do with the decreased consistency....just my two cents.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Roger that, how long u been dealing with it and what has made most difference?

If you are referring to the arm circle, it is something we constantly focus on. We first noticed it when BM commented on one of my posts. To be completely honest, I was hesitant to change anything regarding the arm circle because she was throwing strikes and the velocity was higher than average. We played in an "A" level tourny and my eyes were opened immediately due to the caliber of pitchers. Two things these A level pitchers all had in common was IR and a great arm circle. My DD held her own with the "bad" arm circle but wasnt near as effective as the other pitchers we faced. The next day, I solicited the advice of the board and BM chimed in with his advice. It took some time and work but let me tell ya, other than changing to IR from HE, it was the best thing we have done as it pertains to pitching. We still do the drills BM suggested every time we pitch, which is about 5 or 6 times a week. The cue I give my DD is to "pull the ball out of the glove" as she is getting open. Kind of hard explain but that is just one of the cues my DD understands and knows what I mean by it. Another thing we do is the one knee drill. A lot of people do not like that drill for whatever reason but for my DD it seems to work due to the fact that the only thing she is thinking of is the arm circle. She has come a long way in a short amount of time due to the improved arm circle.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Pay attention to where the,ball is facing on the upswing. Does she point the ball forward toward the catcher. Boardmember posted on ball position having an effect. His observation the girl was pointing the sideways toward her ear