10U Tournament sand bagging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
^^^^^

... with so many teams with no classification things like this happen.

For instance in the USA Preps Moneyball tournament in Vegas last weekend a particular team lost 16 to 0. That represents itself. Because there is no evaluation grading system. Even though that losing team is Mercado Athletics doesn't represent the level of play. The coaches name now does. Coach can switch organizations. But people will remember the name.

Probably this example in calif. Comes from the fact there are so many teams within one organization that the organization name no longer represents the level of play of the teams.

I was amused last summer when at Zoom Into June a team coached by a friend of mine that I call a "B+" team beat a Batbusters team. His team is girls from 3 local rec leagues, but most of them had played together since they were 12, several since they were 9.

May 13, 2023
That has happened in our area as well. There were a few big name organizations that had so many girls come to their tryouts that they opted to create additional teams, rather than turn them away. It's a double edged sword for these organizations: build a reputation of quality teams and you attract more interest (and $), but the talent pool only supports a certain level of play. Do you keep a certain standard of play, or grow the organization and hope to "train up" girls and just accept that your going to have different skill levels of teams and are ok with that. Tough call.
Yes tough call!
How to differentiate competitive levels becomes hard to discern.

May 13, 2023
I was amused last summer when at Zoom Into June a team coached by a friend of mine that I call a "B+" team beat a Batbusters team. His team is girls from 3 local rec leagues, but most of them had played together since they were 12.
And with that it's interesting how people will use that as bragging rights because they beat a bat buster team.

Think this is why teams aren't just listed as their team name and city or state but as a coach's name.
What is in a name?
Watch and find out for ourselves!

Jun 20, 2015
you will see more and more of this with names and paying Franchise fees and the team just not really what you would expect from said name.

you can put lipstick on that pig and give it a fancy name..... it's still bacon on the hoof.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
We were supposed to play in a A class USA tournament this weekend that got cancelled, but everyone wants to play this weekend, so we jumped in a local tournament and our A team will be playing some C teams. Its not about winning a $1.50 ring but more about playing as team instead of having another practice or intrasquad scrimmage. Im sure someone like you will be complaining about us running up the scores too.

May 27, 2022
We were supposed to play in a A class USA tournament this weekend that got cancelled, but everyone wants to play this weekend, so we jumped in a local tournament and our A team will be playing some C teams. Its not about winning a $1.50 ring but more about playing as team instead of having another practice or intrasquad scrimmage. Im sure someone like you will be complaining about us running up the scores too.
Might be a good chance to see girls in different positions. Just keep in mind that after you get your 10 (or whatever) runs / batters, have the girls step off as soon as the ball gets back to the pitcher in the circle. Nothing worse than having your girl step off just before the pitch only to have a multi-base hit be erased.

Feb 24, 2022
Our organization had XXX 18U Elite for the best teams and XXX 18U Premier for the more developmental type teams
No lie that some organizations have National, Elite, Premier, Select, Gold, Futures, etc. at multiple age groups. I'm sure it's clear if you are in that organization, but it looks ridiculous from the outside. "Are we playing XXX Premier?" "No, XXX Elite." "Didn't we already play them?" "No, that was XXX Select."

May 13, 2021
Is it a C class tournament or just advertised as open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles