Yet another bat question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
My DD is in 1st year of 12U travel - 4'10", 75 lbs - currently using a 30/19 Anderson double-walled aluminum. She's a good contact hitter but hits to the right side fairly often which may be a function of mechanics rather than weight. In any case, I think it's time I moved her to a more balanced composite bat as I'm thinking the endloaded isn't doing her any favors. Although I'm thinking of moving to 31", I'm not crazy about moving her up 2 oz. So if I did a CF4 does it make sense to stay at 30/20 or just go with the 31/21 so she can grow into it. Or try something like the Miken MV3 31/19 so I get a bit more length and she can still handle the bat given her size? I plan on letting her try those and the Stealth Speed but I'm not sure she will be able to make the decision given the slight nuances int he bats. Unless I'm missing something I haven't seen a good composite at -11.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
using a 30/19 Anderson double-walled aluminum
???

To my knowledge, Anderson never made a -11 double wall (i.e., Techzilla or Rocketech). They both are/were -10 w/ the TZ balanced and the RT endloaded, but either would seem like a lot of bat for your DD's size. If you double check to confirm the model, then others here may be able to provide better guidance. IMO, bat type isn't important until solid mechanics are established.

GM

If it is a -11, its probably a Pyrotech (just replaced by the KSP) which is a single-walled aluminum that is balanced, not endloaded.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
If it were me I would buy a minus 10 balanced composite. Look for a 2008 Blue Easton Synergy. We have a player on our team with a 30/20 that I used last practice to hit fly balls. It must have been perfectly broken in because the ball was just jumping off of it like a trampoline. I was laughing the whole time.

It's hard to say what size to get her without seeing her mechanics. Maybe try and find a good used 30/20 and see how she does. If it's too small you can always resell it.

May 11, 2009
I am with Greenmonster on this one.....what model of Anderson do you have???
Keep in mind that Anderson does have some balanced bats as well. The TechZilla is a great bat with tons of pop. The new NanoTek also is one heck of a bat and too is balanced. I am just telling you this so you know that composite fiber bats are not the only option you have in your quest for a new bat for her.
With her size and weight I would stay at a 30/20 however but that is just me.

Good luck
Mike

Mar 22, 2010
You are right it is a Pyrotech, single wall but although it's says balanced swing it sure seems somewhat top heavy.

Feb 9, 2009
My daughter, who is 4'7", 70 lbs, just got the Easton Synge composite, 31/19.5. She swung it ONE time and LOVED the way it feels...very balanced! Haven't used it in a game yet, but practice has been AMAZING.

Feb 8, 2009
Personally, I like -12 for smaller girls. I think they need the length. If you would like to save a few bucks without spending time on ebay, try SPC sports.At the -12 drop, I'd take the Mikens over any other manufacturer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55