yes yet another umpiring travesty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So I am behind on my NCAA viewing.

Just watched the last Michigan ULL game. Congrats to MI.

So everybody should know the status around illegal pitching and what a joke that is but welcome the little brother of IP. => Slapping while out of the batters box.

Yes I am aware of the difficulty in calling this infraction. But how in the heck do the umpires finally find the ability in the 7th inning when ULL is down by one run!?!?

I am sure I will be attacked by you "participation-trophy" folks but I don't care,I scream "foul"......

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
College teams continuously push the envelope - illegal pitches, leaving bases early, slapping out of the box, ect - and they get away with is all season long, then it comes back to bite them in the azz in the WCWS! I know several high level TB coaches that encourage their girls to push the envelope "until blue calls you on it"....and usually that is just a warning!

I am with RB; it is not that it should not be called or was not the correct call; it looked like her foot was completely out by about an inch.

My problem with the umpire is just as with balls and strikes...consistency....if we look back at every replay and see this is the first time in the series of 3 games that any girls hit the ball while out of the box then fine but my guess would be that this is probably not the case. So why is it that with the game in the balance it is NOW the umpire chooses to suddenly remember that hey I should enforce this rule.

I did not watch the whole series and think I remember hearing something about maybe being called earlier as well but it's just hard to believe they call this every time it occurs especially when by the third inning or so there are not any lines for the box anyway.

Dec 7, 2011
Was ULL, the team that was stepping out with their back foot, in front of the plate?

My recording is already gone but i thought i remember rewinding and seeing the called-out ULL batters heel on the box line and the rest of her foot progressing in front of the plate. There have been many worse.

I would estimate that 50% of slappers violate this unenforceable rule. To pull this out in the 7th inning like that is pure bad umpiring.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I would estimate that 50% of slappers violate this unenforceable rule. To pull this out in the 7th inning like that is pure bad umpiring.

I didn't watch the ULL/UM series.

However I saw this exact violation called twice yesterday by 2 different HP umpires in other series. Both calls were right on the money.

May 10, 2010
I watched the Oregon and Nebraska series. It was nice to see umpires come together and more than one time, put their egos aside and make the right calls. If I remember right a couple reversals were involved.

Apr 9, 2012
And then, there was the announcer that said that "You only need one foot in the box."

I saw announcers in almost every game make this comment and then justify it by saying the out is only when you touch the plate or the ball hits you out of the box.....

I am confused now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez