Yes, we will Run !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
Wow, I had no idea what an impact of running would have on my players. We always do our basic run, warm up, and stretching. And now, we finish practice with 1 lap around the bases for each error that I see.

After a terrible game (our heads weren't we they should have been) I felt the girls could do way better, but they had no fire inside them. I thought to myself- you can't teach fire inside someone so I wasn't sure what to do. As much as I hated running and I felt bad for the girls on the other team when they had to run after a game- I did it. I made them run. If one person didn't catch with two hands or if one person wasn't down and ready, etc... they all run one lap at the end of practice. I usually warn them once to remind them we are running. My goal is for them to critique each other if they see their teammate not doing something right and to have some fire inside them.

Perfect example:
My daughter who I have been trying to help out on pitching doesn't have a sense of urgency to want to work at it, only go through the motions. She's the 3rd best pitcher on our team. Last night after going through the motions and one wild high ball after the other,- I told her she was running from home to 1st after every 3rd bad ball pitched. Wow- she improved dramatically on the next pitch and fire was lit. You may ask if she even wants to pitch, we've had this conversation several times. She does, but she prefers 2nd base. Thanks goodness I have 2 other girls who really want to pitch or else we would be hurting.

Also- I run with them around the bases, if I beat them, that's another lap. By the last stretch, I'm warn out ! I usually let the last runner barely catch up to me and I run harder- the other teammates cheer on that runner so they all don't have to continue running another lap.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have no problem with your type of running. It is the miles and miles for punishment, that I object to. And kudos to you for running with them.

Apr 18, 2012
New Mexico
Yes! I love this. We implemented an MVP award this year that helped in the beginning of the season but then I'm a big softie and now everyone has won it. =( Waste of money, I know. Sigh. I'm digging the teammate encouragement thing you have going on there. We have some that communicate well and others that only want to talk when they are supposed to be working and it's a distraction, not productive. Definitely going to have to use this to promote teamwork and motivation. Thank you for sharing!

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
My 12u rec team was acting like a bunch of 11year old chatty girls last night at practice while I was trying to show 1st and 3rd stealing plays. I tried to get their attention a couple of times and finally stopped and said, "OK-everybody take a lap around the bases." I said "If your conversation is more important you can have it while running around the bases."

It struck a nerve with them because my neghbor said to me this morning that his daughter came home and told him I made them run at practice. Horror of horrors!

Jun 8, 2012
WV
I'm glad it helps because I had been googling and searching on how to motivate players with little luck. The bb little league coach told me he runs the boys like crazy... so I thought I would try it. When I played I never had to run for errors- maybe my coach was a softie or maybe we paid attention, I don't know.

Thanks guys, glad you like it !

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
The only thing I don't really like is that this turns running into a punishment without purpose. What I mean here is that there is no GAME situation where you have to run (jog, whatever) around the bases short of a HR. If this becomes a punishment for punishment sake, then the girls will associate running with 'doing something wrong'.

Instead, I'd switch to either a game-like situation (Run full tilt Home to 2nd, slide in at 2nd...repeat for 2nd to home) which could severely slow down your practice, or sub out something that doesn't have a game application, but will still build muscle/endurance (up/downs, pushups, jumping jacks, etc.)

What you don't want is that running becomes linked as punishment in their mind. Since running is a large part of the game, it needs to be taught in a way that is enjoyable and applicable so that come game time their mind and body aren't sending conflicting messages.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz