YES! High School Softball discussion!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
I'm on the other side of PA, so I agree (or did agree) with what you are saying. Unfortunately, soccer is played in the fall here. If softball had to compete with soccer for players, I am afraid soccer would win. Not sure we would have enough left to even field a softball team.

You are correct - That is a fact that irritates me greatly-

Here’s my troubled story -
I played soccer in HS (I chose Soccer because I was 14 and Lazy and Soccer was a new sport in our school so I knew I'd make the team with very little effort - I did, All because I had the uncanny ability to both run and kick a ball and when necessary allow a ball to careen off my head.) -
Therefor I have a great hatred for soccer, because I got stuck playing that for 4 years instead of Baseball which I enjoyed much more.

I have to assume there are some number of us who were roped in to soccer because it consists of very little more than running and kicking a ball -(and the being hit in the head thing...)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
Last fall was DD first year of school ball. And a new school as well. She made the dress list (non starter) for V before the season started. Then starting JV pitcher. Ended the season in the 5 spot in the batting order on V, and shared some time in the circle. Ended season at .447. Team is in a tough conf, with 5 of 8, of them making it to state.

just a little drama during the season. Mom of Sr. that DD displaced in the batting order, and a Fr whose mom thought she was the best hitter on the team (hit 180). I actually worked with Sr. and she got back in the lineup by season end. Sr. will play with DD on her 18U team this summer, after I got her a tryout. Drama solved.

Good year overall and a coach that made it fun. Not enough talent to make it too far next year, but I think the girls are having a great time. The team (most of them) still gets together to do things. And they still have batting practice every week (I think it is 5 or 6 at a time to stay within the rules).

Tough on me as I am now on the bench in her SB life, so to speak. We still have practice time this winter, but my days of watching practice, etc are over.

5 TB players last year. Looks like it will be 11 next year.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You are correct - That is a fact that irritates me greatly-

Here’s my troubled story -
I played soccer in HS (I chose Soccer because I was 14 and Lazy and Soccer was a new sport in our school so I knew I'd make the team with very little effort - I did, All because I had the uncanny ability to both run and kick a ball and when necessary allow a ball to careen of my head.) -
Therefor I have a great hatred for soccer, because I got stuck playing that for 4 years instead of Baseball which I enjoyed much more.

I have to assume there are some number of us who were roped in to soccer because it consists of very little more than running and kicking a ball -(and the being hit in the head thing...)

Sounds like organized kickball, not soccer!

Apr 11, 2012
Then your players would miss the biggest recruiting period of the year.

huh....? No they wouldn't, lots of girls in Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Georgia get recruited and signed despite playing fall HS softball....what recruiting period are they missing....?

Nothing is going on in August and most of September in TB in Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Georgia .....Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Georgia players all usually get back from whatever nationals they played in at the very end of July and then go straight into two weeks of HS ball practice, then they play 30 games in 7 weeks, which would put them in the first week in October or so....with the state finals around the third week in October....then the girls usually have time for two or three TB fall events in late October and early November.....then they take a break and start up in late December for 2-3 indoor tournaments in January and February then get ready for a 4 month season of TB from March to the end of July....then start all over again till college...

oh....then there's the weather advantage.....and we had 4 games postponed in the last 4 years of HS ball....one from rain and 3 from heat....

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Another SC resident softball family/coach at the school and TB. We started practice today and first games will be first week of March and end early May with play offs. Pretty excited about school ball this year. Varsity and JV are both young teams that will have many years to play together.

As far as recruiting from TB.....that is all year for some colleges. We have had them watch us just as much in June as in November. Lot of that is just being at the right tournaments.

Feb 12, 2014
DD is a freshman who most likely play varsity this year. We only graduated two seniors last year, the team is real young but show a ton of potential.

Our official regular school season is March thru Mid-May - They play approximately 20 to 25 games a year.

Off-season "optional" workouts consist of one day of Hitting (2hrs), one day of fielding & hitting (2hrs) and one day of speed and agility.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Open gyms have begun here in the great, not so white north...After the last two springs I think Mother nature owes us one. DD is a Senior and the team will be made up of Seniors and Sophomores and they are looking to go one step further and make it to the section final and then anything can happen. We are starting to throw and hit once or twice a week in a local indoor facility and will build up to when practice starts in March.

Apr 25, 2010
DD is a sophomore who pitched every inning of every Varsity game last year. Our program stinks. Lots of entitlement in this tiny school of 250 total kids. We will have basically the same team as last year minus the two non-contributing seniors that graduated. There are maybe 4 freshman who play, but not one of them is better than what we already have. New coach this year... The 8th grade History teacher, assisted by the HS Psychology teacher. Open gyms start tonight, however, DD has hitting with her TB team on Tuesdays. She will be at the open gym tomorrow. The bulk of the Varsity team also plays basketball, so I see attendance at open gym being sparse.

Oct 10, 2011
We had 8 seniors graduate, so there shouldn't be the drama from last year..."I'm a senior...It's supposed to be my time to shine." Boo Hoo:p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30