Yeah, I'm venting. It's a game!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 22, 2009
Taunting isnt sportsman like, but the softball cemetery chant is one I have heard for 10 yrs., along with "were coming after you with our bats and our balls and our trophies too." Most of the time its just girls making noise, dont get hyper sensitive. :p

Sep 3, 2009
I'd like to think there aren't too many of those teams. My dd played a team like that few weeks ago. Very unsportsmanlike cheers, and the PARENTS would ring cowbells during the pitcher's windup, and had their own chants. And of course they were smoking in the bleachers. Just a total class act all the way around. :rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2008
Again, the head coach is responsible for the actions of the parents and spectators. If they are cheering in a derogatory manner or purposely doing things in an attempt to distract the pitcher the umpire should instruct the coach to get them under control.

Mar 6, 2009
I had a similar situation this past summer. If I was to do it all over again, I would not be afraid of pulling the team off the field and if needed take a forfeit. I really don't feel the need to have to explain why team x or other adults act like y. It is lot more fun to just take the loss and go to the concession stand. The tournament director will "get the point" real fast.

Bill

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The 'old gray cemetary' is a common cheer. When my DD was playing
10U we had a semifinal game where the other teams parents were cursing
at our #B and LF. I let the word slip to a couple of my parents who
took it upon themselves to have it cease. The best revenge was when my 3B
hit a bases loaded double in the 3rd inning to break open a tie game that we won 13-3. The next time we saw them in tournament, you could hear a pin drop in their bleachers. I have also umpired plenty of games and only once had to remove a manager from the field after warning his team/dugout

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd is playing for an older team but her coach does something I really like. He demands chatter but IT HAS TO BE CONSTRUCTIVE. Things like, 2 outs or runner on second so hit the cut. Our girls are constantly talking in ways that win games. All other really is destructive chatter.

May 7, 2008
Stephanie...I want to validate you. At that age, vulnerable, and still learning the basic fundamentals of the game, it can infuriate me to watch unethical behavior. It is a reflection of the league, the umpires, the coaches, the athletes, and the parents. My point of view, however, has never brought about change in an environment that tolerates such behavior or models it. It has been my experience, as a parent and my husband's (as a coach), to take those opportunities to teach character, mental toughness, and to rise above it. I wish I could tell you it gets better, but I will tell you it has made my daughter more tenacious. Two weeks ago she was pitching in an NSA tournament and an adult (either assistant coach or parent) was taunting my daughter with every pitch. A direct attack on her mental game. My husband was coaching my son's baseball team and was not present. "We're gonna break her down! You watch, she's gonna throw a ball...we're gonna get to her." It went on and on and on until my husband arrived. It ceased just by his presence. It was like watching a match between my daughter and the taunts. At one comment, she came back and struck out three straight batters. She shows no emotion, stays focus, and uses the Michael Phelps philosophy (not about life choices) which takes the smack talk and finds a greater competitive strength. The following day we were approached by seven or eight adults and/or coaches who said, "She is one of the toughest pitchers I have ever seen." I realize, however, that she was born with that strong will (tough toddler), but has grown and uses it for the greater good.

I don't appreciate your challenge...my encouragement is to lead your team by example and allow your behavior to contrast the trash.

Good luck,

Angela

Oct 19, 2009
Bring a video camera and tripod to the games.. If it starts up, you can point it at the other dugout and or their parents.

Let the coach know you'll make him/her an Internet Star if they don't control their players and parents.

truth be told, I'd probably pull my girls off the field. I coach 10u rec, and I take the "rec" part of it very seriously. Not sure what I'd do if it was a more competitive league

I don't think it matters rec or travel. I coach 10U travel and will not allow my kids to taunt the opponent. It's not how we want to represent ourselves or our organization. Figure too, being at the 10U level we're going to be seeing these teams and people many more times over the next 8 or so years. I'd rather be known or remembered as a class act who prepared his kids to play than the alternative.

I read somewhere once - "nothing worse than losing to a nice team"....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877