Y'all want to dissect this swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
^^^Agreed...she is very typical for a younger player. Just remember this is a marathon not a sprint...start with one or two things and take it a step at a time, she can be taught the whole swing at once but she should only focus on one thing at a time. the last thing you want her to do is be at the plate thinking through the 8 point or 10 points of the swing...that is the muscle memory part your DH is talking about. Also even though she is young don't be afraid to show her pictures of herself vs model and then put her in those positions so she can FEEL the difference.

I absolutely agree its a marathon, and that you can't be overthinking while swinging against game pitching.

But I also think that you CAN and MUST work on "8 or 10" things if those things are broken. Work on them with drills/practice. Many small fixes will have significant downstream impacts, and NOT fixing them will hold you back from making gains. Many of the things I'm thinking of can be set or established before the ball is in the air, even in practice. Skip 6 or 8 things to work on 1 or 2 and you may end up frustrated because you aren't getting the results you want because everything is so dependent.

For instance, you can't just

stop the hands drop/barrel dump/lay bat flat then dragging bat all the way around elbow

by working on THAT. You need to set a better platform (grip, stance, posture), install an alternate "engine" (DBSF is really an engine, it powers swings without stretch and fire engines), and change swing thoughts to make real progress. In short...

She does need better coil, separation etc and lots of other things

:D

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
For visual this is the biggest part to work on. She does need better coil, separation etc and lots of other things; but stopping the hands drop/barrel dump/lay bat flat then dragging bat all the way around elbow first is huge.
View attachment 11799

Agree, but that is occurring due to the arms powering the swing around the body vs the core swinging the arms.. The whole body needs to be engaged as part of the whip..

Or one could try a heavier bat and have her focus on the hands working with the body to create the whip. IOW's the hands/bat and body become one during whip execution.

1U6EHQ1.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Agree, but that is occurring due to the arms powering the swing around the body vs the core swinging the arms.. The whole body needs to be engaged as part of the whip..

Or one could try a heavier bat and have her focus on the hands working with the body to create the whip. IOW's the hands/bat and body become one during whip execution.

1U6EHQ1.png

Agree with everyone that she needs to work on and understand the whole swing in sequence but when she steps into the box if she has 10 things running around in her head it will simply increase stress level.

she needs to find 1 or 2 cues that help her get all the other things right...funny you mentioned bat I was thinking her bat might be too heavy and she needs something she can better control..lol

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There are two things your DD isn't doing, Pelvic and scap loading. Pujols is doing both.

Shawn ... I am assuming that you wish to be helpful in this request ... exactly where in the swing is this scap loading you speak of ... mark up a GIF to highlight the frames that it is taking place during. Add a description of this scap loading that you are highlighting. Thank you in advance.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn ... I am assuming that you wish to be helpful in this request ... exactly where in the swing is this scap loading you speak of ... mark up a GIF to highlight the frames that it is taking place during. Add a description of this scap loading that you are highlighting. Thank you in advance.

Scap loading can be a tricky thing. Pujols has some pre set scap loading in the gif. I believe there a "little" scap loading in the swing. I'm more pro relaxation that leads to the upperbody following the lowring body. Pujols in this clip already has the back elbow and scap up and back. Not the best clip to view scap loading, I will post a new clip in a different topic if you want to discuss scap loading.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Some, MAY have called it a scap load..
The muscles that coil the hip and pull the back AND SCAP 'around'....around the back of the torso.....PULL BACK AND AROUND....against the leg....as the leg attempts to internally rotate. The pulling back action of the scap.........IS NOT A SCAP LOAD...... The action of the scap, as well as the action of the hip and lower back....is to PULL BACK so as to LOAD THE LEG.....not the scap. THAT is what all high level hitters do. Some, in shorthand fashion MAY have called it a scap load.. The action of the scap is to load the leg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles