How to transfer practice swing to live swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
My DD has been improving her swing in practice but when she gets to live hitting she reverts back to her nemesis of taking her hands to the ball. She’s making contact just not good contact, either popups or weak grounders.

Her practice swings look good, anyone have any tips on how to get her practice swingto translate over to her game swing?

May 6, 2015
repetition
repetition
repetition
repetition

oh whats that other thing?

oh yeah, repetition.

have to develop the muscle memory of the swing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD had similar Issue. It came down to she did not want to strike out. I had to convince her it was Ok. Also told her I was not going to say anything when she was up to bar, worry about her lack of swing sometime during the week, not during the game. Once she believed me she took off as a hitter.

Apr 17, 2019
DD had similar Issue. It came down to she did not want to strike out. I had to convince her it was Ok. Also told her I was not going to say anything when she was up to bar, worry about her lack of swing sometime during the week, not during the game. Once she believed me she took off as a hitter.

Ha I already do that now, she has enough going on in her head without me adding things in.

Aug 24, 2018
DDs batting coach tells her a specific number of reps. 1,473 was used in the last speech. I wish I paid enough to remember the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it changes every time. The point he makes is, no matter how long it takes to get that specific number of swings in, the swing won't change. He tells a story about a pro from Japan that stayed up all night to complete the number of swings, but most people don't do that.

Apr 17, 2019
repetition
repetition
repetition
repetition

oh whats that other thing?

oh yeah, repetition.

have to develop the muscle memory of the swing.

Practice until her body doesn't know another way to swing the bat. Seriously.

it’s something she’s been working on for a year at least, I’m not sure how she hasn’t had enough reps of doing it correctly yet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
it’s something she’s been working on for a year at least, I’m not sure how she hasn’t had enough reps of doing it correctly yet.

How old is she?

I would suggest that you might be underestimating the difficulty of making effective changes to complex muscle memory patterns, especially those that are used in stressful situations like batting in a game. It took YEARS of work before my DD's game swings started looking like her practice swings. She's been playing this game for 8 years, and there's still a few adjustments she's working on.

Apr 17, 2019
How old is she?

I would suggest that you might be underestimating the difficulty of making effective changes to complex muscle memory patterns, especially those that are used in stressful situations like batting in a game. It took YEARS of work before my DD's game swings started looking like her practice swings. She's been playing this game for 8 years, and there's still a few adjustments she's working on.

Ok that’s reassuring, trust me though I know how hard it is to change a swing. I play golf and fixes take forever for me, I was hoping since she was younger she would get them faster. This will be her 4th year playing.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Random thoughts:

It's like any other change made, (throwing, fielding, running, pitching, etc.) do it in small steps so that the brain remembers.
Don't move on until the first step is understood and incorporated into the change.
I would suggest you don't rush change and bat against live pitching or a machine as they will revert.
The off-season is the time to make major changes.
Video is a great help in showing the hitter the starting point and how they progress.
Start on the tee and don't waiver from the process.
There WILL BE times of failure before success.

Introduction of change, Demonstration of change, repetition of change, correction of change ( if needed) and, repetition of change.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478