Y'all want to dissect this swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2017
Georgia
Here is one I did with your DD. You can see why we call it DBSF. The other think I would note is as others have said when she does step forward her whole body and hips and everything start releasing forward. Look at the sequence and you can see she is too far forward in each sequence. If you want your can ask questions about each pic but I think you can almost start to diagnose for yourself what is going on. A final thing the stills and the gifs go hand in hand you can't mechanically get into each picture in the sequence and your swing will be magic it has to flow.

View attachment 11798

Omg, this helps so much more! DH can look at her swing and tell what all she does wrong. I look at her swing and know that something isn't right, but I can't ever pin point what it is because I honestly don't know how it should look.

May 1, 2017
Georgia
Thank y'all so much for helping me! I spend my entire day (true story) looking through different posts seeing what all I can learn. Also, I feel like she isn't following through with her swing. Or is she not able to follow through with her swing because it's bad?

Sep 29, 2014
Omg, this helps so much more! DH can look at her swing and tell what all she does wrong. I look at her swing and know that something isn't right, but I can't ever pin point what it is because I honestly don't know how it should look.
Thanks the sequence I'm using is
1. Relax and ready in box
2. Farthest point weight back
3. Front foot heel plant
4. Hip release elbow slot
5. Just prior to contact ball maybe less than 10 ft away
6. Contact

Sep 29, 2014
Thank y'all so much for helping me! I spend my entire day (true story) looking through different posts seeing what all I can learn. Also, I feel like she isn't following through with her swing. Or is she not able to follow through with her swing because it's bad?

There is not much follow through because she is all the way forward and basically half followed through already. Contact is also way out front look at hand position relative to body in other words she is making contact when her bat should be following through staying back will help.

May 1, 2017
Georgia
There is not much follow through because she is all the way forward and basically half followed through already. Contact is also way out front look at hand position relative to body in other words she is making contact when her bat should be following through staying back will help.

That makes total sense!

Sep 17, 2009
This hitter, like most young ones, is doing most everything just a little bit wrong. And then it all adds up to a not-great swing. Her grip is wrong. Her stance is unengaged. Her posture is off both at start and at load (does she look like Lauren Chamberlain at key positions in her swing? No? She can, it's not an age thing, it's a movement thing). She has no coil. No pullback. Does't know how to use her hands. If you asked her what it meant to swing a bat and what body parts she's trying to use (how she visualizes and understands "swing"), you'd probably get a not great answer. If you asked her how she thinks the barrel should look at contact she'd probably say flat vs. diagonal. She likely won't have a good idea of proper contact position. She wouldn't understand lag. She's probably been told 100 times (likely yelled from the stands) "don't drop your shoulder" "hands to the ball" "make contact" "keep that swing level".

And then we wonder why her full-motion swing isn't quite right?

I'm NOT trying to be mean or harsh. But you have to start fixing each piece -- piece by piece. Give her the reason for each fix. "Our hands have to work like this, so the grip needs to be like this, out in the fingers and out of the palm (that's where I'd start). Here's the wrong way. Here's the right way. Feel the difference?" Etc. etc. See the results add up. Over time. Good on tee. Bad on soft-toss. Good on soft-toss. Bad vs. machine or live pitching. Fix what's wrong or sub-optimal again. Repeat forever :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
This hitter, like most young ones, is doing most everything just a little bit wrong. And then it all adds up to a not-great swing. Her grip is wrong. Her stance is unengaged. Her posture is off both at start and at load (does she look like Lauren Chamberlain at key positions in her swing? No? She can, it's not an age thing, it's a movement thing). She has no coil. No pullback. Does't know how to use her hands. If you asked her what it meant to swing a bat and what body parts she's trying to use (how she visualizes and understands "swing"), you'd probably get a not great answer. If you asked her how she thinks the barrel should look at contact she'd probably say flat vs. diagonal. She likely won't have a good idea of proper contact position. She wouldn't understand lag. She's probably been told 100 times (likely yelled from the stands) "don't drop your shoulder" "hands to the ball" "make contact" "keep that swing level".

And then we wonder why her full-motion swing isn't quite right?

I'm NOT trying to be mean or harsh. But you have to start fixing each piece -- piece by piece. Give her the reason for each fix. "Our hands have to work like this, so the grip needs to be like this, out in the fingers and out of the palm (that's where I'd start). Here's the wrong way. Here's the right way. Feel the difference?" Etc. etc. See the results add up. Over time. Good on tee. Bad on soft-toss. Good on soft-toss. Bad vs. machine or live pitching. Fix what's wrong or sub-optimal again. Repeat forever :)

^^^Agreed...she is very typical for a younger player. Just remember this is a marathon not a sprint...start with one or two things and take it a step at a time, she can be taught the whole swing at once but she should only focus on one thing at a time. the last thing you want her to do is be at the plate thinking through the 8 point or 10 points of the swing...that is the muscle memory part your DH is talking about. Also even though she is young don't be afraid to show her pictures of herself vs model and then put her in those positions so she can FEEL the difference.

Jun 8, 2016
^^^Agreed...she is very typical for a younger player.

Agreed. I am very curious as to why this is e.g. what is it about their bodies that when left alone many resort to this type of swing? Strength? Coordination? First introduction
to hitting being on the tee (e.g. t-ball)? Probably no definitive answer, other than perhaps all of the above, but with a 2 year old son who will eventually play, if I can get him on the right track earlier than I did with
my DD it would be great.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Cray91,

Ok, if you do work with her, you can see the back elbow leading the hands in full speed. Look for it the next time you hit, just zero in on it since you can see it in the video. Then correct her every time she leads with the elbow. With just a little practice you can see this flaw.

With just a little practice you can also see flattening the barrel before swinging. It happens slow enough to see in real time.

Just burn the swing into your head and practice seeing it in real time. With a little practice you can see the slot and shift pattern and you want to create a sit and turn pattern.

Sep 29, 2014
Cray91,

Ok, if you do work with her, you can see the back elbow leading the hands in full speed. Look for it the next time you hit, just zero in on it since you can see it in the video. Then correct her every time she leads with the elbow. With just a little practice you can see this flaw.

With just a little practice you can also see flattening the barrel before swinging. It happens slow enough to see in real time.

Just burn the swing into your head and practice seeing it in real time. With a little practice you can see the slot and shift pattern and you want to create a sit and turn pattern.

For visual this is the biggest part to work on. She does need better coil, separation etc and lots of other things; but stopping the hands drop/barrel dump/lay bat flat then dragging bat all the way around elbow first is huge.
cray elbow.JPG

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414