Wristband Playcards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I use the Martin wrist coaches for the customized systems I do for teams as well. I do a 5x9 grid on youth cards, and 5x12 on adults. Keep in mind the more combinations you have, the more effective. And yes, you definitely want to laminate them. I can usually fit in a few defensive plays on the offensive cards, but for the teams that have a lot of signs or pitch-calling as well, I recommend they be laminated back to back as Bald notes above. I also use colors to highlight the rows and columns to make it easier to read. If you're interested in more info on having a system done for your team vs. doing it yourself, feel free to e-mail me at jffbaker3@gmail.com.

Feb 15, 2019
Here's how I have my calls formatted. Nothing special. You can format or tweak it out to your needs . I try to keep it as simple as I can

PLAY CALLING
NUMBERS 0-99
COLORS:
RED –Aggressive
WHITE- Caution
BLACK – Be Alert

FIELDING
Any number ending in 1 is double play
Any number ending in 2 is corners in
Any number ending in 3 is play deep
Any number ending in 4 is play shallow
Any number ending in 5 is watch runners

HITTING
Any number ending in 1 power hit
Any number ending in 2 is sneaky bunt
Any number ending in 3 is show bunt/power swing
Any number ending in 4 is show bunt and bunt (sacrifice)
Any number ending in 5 is bunt to first (squeeze play,runner on third)
Double number is sneaky bunt pull back, then bunt. Ex double 55 is same at double 66

BASE RUNNING
Any number ending in 6 is steal when pitcher lifts back leg
Any number ending in 7 is run on contact (usually on two outs)
Any number ending in 8 is get in a pickle
Any number ending in 9 is charge the plate
Any number ending in 0 is lead off (with possible other numbers)

So is this used by cards or verbal?
Example?

Feb 15, 2019
We use a 2 number system, but will flash 3 numbers. We tell them its either the first 2 or last 2, example if our Steal is 34 on the card and we are using first 2 it may go 341 or if using second two it may be 134. We also go with 5 as being the Green Light Sign, if a 5 is flashed first it's a Green Light.

We just made up numbers from 0-5 so you can use 1 hand to deliver the signs. Too easy!!

So you're still creating a wrist cards using two digit code and hand signal three numbers?

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Any system that uses a pattern (e.g., if the first or last number is X, then Y is on) or a decoy (e.g., the xth number is a decoy) can be picked up by another team. Any wristband system using 1 or 2 numbers is also susceptible. The idea of a wristband system is to use totally random combinations of numbers for the same sign ... for example a steal could be 115, 243, 512, 333, etc., while a bunt could be 113, 234. 554, 321, etc. The same numbers are being shuffled around with no pattern for any one sign. In the event a coach is concerned that the other team could pick up a sign or two from such a system if they play multiple times, the customized systems that I do for teams for a very nominal fee include 3 different sets of signs that can easily be changed out from game to game or even inning to inning. Again, contact me for more info at jffbaker3@gmail.com, even if you're just interested in more info about how you can go about creating your own system. I also buy 3 pocket wristbands at bulk prices that I can include with the systems I do at a price that is lower than you can buy them yourself. Regardless there's just no reason in this day and age to ever have to worry about getting signs either stolen by the other team or misread by your own team.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2014
IIRC, the actual commercial system uses a grid system (sort of like a Super Bowl pool), with the individual plays randomly generated and inserted into those squares. So if the coach wants a steal, he/she finds "steal" on the grid and then looks to see which two numbers point to that square. (I've never used it so I could be wrong about those mechanics.)

I think the same play is in multiple squares, so if the first steal is 2-3, the next time the coach wants a steal it could be 9-4. Since each number is only used once (ideally) it makes it dang near impossible to steal the signs. For the next game, you generate a new set of "codes."

At most levels it's probably overkill. Not that much sign stealing is happening, and even if it is it doesn't necessarily guarantee that the team stealing the sign can execute the play that counters it. But it sure is popular. I've seen a lot of teams that don't really need that system using it.

On the plus side, players don't have to be able to recognize signs as a coach throws them, or pick them out of a long string. The coach says 2-3, the player looks it up on her wristband and you're good to go. That's probably the best reason to use it. Being a bit old school in that regard it takes some of the artistry out of giving signs, but as long as your players can read two numbers it also means your runner on third isn't hung out to dry because the hitter missed the sign for a suicide squeeze.

I completely disagree with this. An intelligent coach makes their signs easy to remember and actually gives the signs in the game. Its much easier for the players and they can concentrate on the game and they aren't looking down at their wrists all day long.

Mar 6, 2016
You can also use the bands as "dummy" calls. Ex: There was a coach that we played against who was pretty decent at picking signs. Signs themselves are pretty easy to pick once you've heard or seen any repeat of a sign or number and its the same action or pitch...you now have the sign.... But anyways...we used the bands amd called out numbers just as usual for the games vs the one coach... Like "Pink 76"....but they were all fake...the real signs were the position of my feet or my hands. It was almost so simple but he was so focused on picking the numbers he didnt even think of looking at anything else. He would call pitch outs or say name or numbers bcuz he thought he knew if fastball or change/off speed were coming. He was all pissed when he was wrong all the time. Lol... It was a fun game within the game. 😀

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I completely disagree with this. An intelligent coach makes their signs easy to remember and actually gives the signs in the game. Its much easier for the players and they can concentrate on the game and they aren't looking down at their wrists all day long.

It's really not much easier to try to decipher even a simple sign than it is to spend literally less than two seconds looking down at the wristband.

May 26, 2020
I usually do hand signals but I am going to try and use wrist coaches. Is there any advice or how I need to make the templates

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My team is 10u, but I was thinking of pitching this to the organization. I think we should use the same system throughout. Right now we all use the same hand signals. Works good for when girls move up.

Think this is to much for 10u or will it help them in the long run starting now?
If it was me. I would take the amount of time it would take to develop the system, train the girls, train the parents and train the other coaches., and use that time to teach the players how to execute the plays better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619