Wristband Playcards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We use a 2 number system, but will flash 3 numbers. We tell them its either the first 2 or last 2, example if our Steal is 34 on the card and we are using first 2 it may go 341 or if using second two it may be 134. We also go with 5 as being the Green Light Sign, if a 5 is flashed first it's a Green Light.

We just made up numbers from 0-5 so you can use 1 hand to deliver the signs. Too easy!!

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
We use a 2 number system, but will flash 3 numbers. We tell them its either the first 2 or last 2, example if our Steal is 34 on the card and we are using first 2 it may go 341 or if using second two it may be 134. We also go with 5 as being the Green Light Sign, if a 5 is flashed first it's a Green Light.

We just made up numbers from 0-5 so you can use 1 hand to deliver the signs. Too easy!!

Exactly what we did. My outlook is still down ! So frustrated

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Here's how I have my calls formatted. Nothing special. You can format or tweak it out to your needs . I try to keep it as simple as I can

PLAY CALLING
NUMBERS 0-99
COLORS:
RED –Aggressive
WHITE- Caution
BLACK – Be Alert

FIELDING
Any number ending in 1 is double play
Any number ending in 2 is corners in
Any number ending in 3 is play deep
Any number ending in 4 is play shallow
Any number ending in 5 is watch runners

HITTING
Any number ending in 1 power hit
Any number ending in 2 is sneaky bunt
Any number ending in 3 is show bunt/power swing
Any number ending in 4 is show bunt and bunt (sacrifice)
Any number ending in 5 is bunt to first (squeeze play,runner on third)
Double number is sneaky bunt pull back, then bunt. Ex double 55 is same at double 66

BASE RUNNING
Any number ending in 6 is steal when pitcher lifts back leg
Any number ending in 7 is run on contact (usually on two outs)
Any number ending in 8 is get in a pickle
Any number ending in 9 is charge the plate
Any number ending in 0 is lead off (with possible other numbers)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
From what I can gather from DD and others, our coach has very few signs

take
fake bunt
steal
bunt
have heart (when he wants a girl to hit with courage)

The rest he expects the girls to know from the many hours of practicing the situations.

Maybe its just me, but I really like this approach. He also leaves the pitch calling to the catcher a lot, has the girls run their own warmups as early as 10U and generally just expects them to learn the game and make the right decision come game time.

Jun 1, 2013
We use the wrist coaches but they are limited. Just to help with memory of player because I would rather them have it than miss a sign. I do mine based on number system. Arm=2, chest=1, ear=5. That way I can give them the same number in several different ways. It makes them really pay attention and engage that thing between their ears. Only used for batting and base running. I use 3 digit even/odd on first and third calls, with 0 being to 3rd base and 2 digit # back to pitcher. Works well for us.

Apr 11, 2012
I wouldn't use them....but don't have an issue with anyone who does, it's fine....but it is annoying when teams that use it wrist codes, haven't trained their pitchers not to take 5 seconds every time they are on the rubber....

some guys opinions of the wrist bands (not mine...) are that they think that it's degrading to players (that their coach must not think they are smart enough to get normal conventional "signs").

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
From what I can gather from DD and others, our coach has very few signs

take
fake bunt
steal
bunt
have heart (when he wants a girl to hit with courage)

The rest he expects the girls to know from the many hours of practicing the situations.

Maybe its just me, but I really like this approach. He also leaves the pitch calling to the catcher a lot, has the girls run their own warmups as early as 10U and generally just expects them to learn the game and make the right decision come game time.

I am still old school and pretty much do the same.
I use no indicator, and have signs for
Bunt, take (hardly ever use), fake bunt, hit and run, fake bunt/swing, and wipe off
I give the sign once, and normally do not give a bunch of other stuff with it.

I could care less if the other team knows what we are going to do.
We have to execute and they have to make the play.

I also never warm up the team, other than hitting, they know the routine and what it takes to get ready for a game.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
^^^ i agree this is a good approach, feel bad for micro managing coaches who are trying to eliminate all mistakes and learning

Dec 8, 2014
I wouldn't use them....but don't have an issue with anyone who does, it's fine....but it is annoying when teams that use it wrist codes, haven't trained their pitchers not to take 5 seconds every time they are on the rubber....

some guys opinions of the wrist bands (not mine...) are that they think that it's degrading to players (that their coach must not think they are smart enough to get normal conventional "signs").

I think many coaches, especially college level, have begun to use them to keep teams from being able to pick signs from the opposing coach to gain an advantage and not that they think the players are not smart enough to get the sign. We use them on offense, but not for the pitcher/catcher. I'm not sure if it is too complicated for the players or me (more likely) to use with the pitcher/catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad