Would moving fences back...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
Move the bases back 5'.
Give the IF a decent reaction time, instead of basically demanding perfection every time.
More chance at DPs.
Costs basically nothing.

Grown women with modern equipment playing on a Little League field is stupid.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Move the bases back 5'.
Give the IF a decent reaction time, instead of basically demanding perfection every time.
More chance at DPs.
Costs basically nothing.

Grown women with modern equipment playing on a Little League field is stupid.

There were I believe three double plays turned in one of the AU games yesterday.

I don't think there's any need to move the bases back five feet. The problem you describe is only even a factor at the very highest levels of the sport. Plus, moving the bases back 5 feet will also move the fielders back five feet. I'm not convinced this would actually help the defense.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I know this is not possible in all the stadiums but a minimum of 210' down the lines and 220' to center field. That would increase doubles and triples slightly, and decrease homeruns. I would have no issue with 220' down the lines and 240' to center.

Moving the bases back 5 feet would be a poor decision IMO. That would basically get rid of any threat of stealing bases, and the lefty slapper would become obsolete. The fast pace of infield play in softball makes for a better viewing experience from my perspective.

Apr 16, 2013
Moving fences back isn't feasible for lots and lots of fields. I still say deaden the bats some. However, around here, a LOT of fields are multipurpose with temp fences set at 225. I'd say at least half the fields my DD plays at have 225 fences. Still doesn't stop the sluggers though. It only stops those pop up/fly ball home runs.

Feb 1, 2021
Even in D1, I would not advocate for huge fields from top to bottom. If there was some 'softball super league' (the 2025 SEC may qualify) of the top 20 teams playing in a league, I'd be for it for them. Once you get past those 10 or 20 teams, 210 to 220ft is just about right, in my opinion.

When it comes to monster parks, our popular park for travel-ball has 8' fences anywhere from 235 to 260 away. While 235 is very doable, those fields, at least for HS girls are definitely the point where finding the gap and running fast will pay off better than the occasional monster shot over the fence.

Jul 31, 2015
There were I believe three double plays turned in one of the AU games yesterday.

I don't think there's any need to move the bases back five feet. The problem you describe is only even a factor at the very highest levels of the sport. Plus, moving the bases back 5 feet will also move the fielders back five feet. I'm not convinced this would actually help the defense.

A couple years ago I watched several NPF games live. Wasn't great.
Exit velos 75-80mph off composite bats and 180lbs of muscle. Infield could barely get to the ball. Errors everywhere. Terrible product. And totally not the players fault.

Sure, the throws would have to be a bit further, but reaction time is everything. At least give the defense a more even chance. Circle has been pushed back twice.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A couple years ago I watched several NPF games live. Wasn't great.
Exit velos 75-80mph off composite bats and 180lbs of muscle. Infield could barely get to the ball. Errors everywhere. Terrible product. And totally not the players fault.

Sure, the throws would have to be a bit further, but reaction time is everything. At least give the defense a more even chance. Circle has been pushed back twice.
We were watching a different league then. I don't recall that ever being an issue.

I also don't see this problem with the Athletes Unlimited games. Plenty of great plays in the infield. Plenty of routine ones, too.

Jul 31, 2015
We were watching a different league then. I don't recall that ever being an issue.

I also don't see this problem with the Athletes Unlimited games. Plenty of great plays in the infield. Plenty of routine ones, too.

Not sure if it was the games I saw or if it was more systemic. I didn't watch a lot of NPF.

But it definitely stood out...I had never seen games like that. I remember seeing Ricketts, Escobedo and Abbott pitching. I think there were 5 or 6 errors in the first 3 innings of the first game. And like 3-4 each in the next two games. Almost all on the IF, who simply couldn't handle the hit balls. Maybe they weren't all scored as errors, but it looked awful.

I did watch quite a bit of AU on TV; was a lower level of play. Didn't see the problem there.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I would love to see fences back 20 feet. And yes, you might get some more hits...nothing is wrong with outfield having to run and try to cut
off a double in the gap or down the line. Nothing wrong with a few more singles falling in because outfield is playing
a bit deeper. Bring a little outfield prowess back into the game and maybe teams would start looking into players a little differently than
they do now. Outfield play is almost non existent anymore. Ok, ball gets hit in the air, they catch it and throw back in. grounder goes thru,
they pick it up and toss it back in. But just seems the stud outfielders dont get to show much.

Bigger fields I think would cut out the pop up homers. And we wouldnt have to go thru yet another bat or ball change

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06