Working out during the "no season"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2019
First, I'd like to say that I wish you all health during this scary time.
With softball being cancelled across the nation, what are the best at home ideas to keep our older players in shape and game ready for when softball returns?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Our training facility is shortening the strength and conditioning classes to 45min to allow cleaning of equipment after every class. They are also making class sizes smaller. Lessons are still continuing. However, they've asked parents to remain outside to keep the number of people to a minimum.

Outdoor lessons should not be an issue in my mind.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ha, to answer the question originally posed. Work on position specific skills, my DD is a catcher and I'd do glove work and long toss to keep the hands and arms fresh.

Hitting would be easy to do at home, we already do this, so business as usual. If you're not able to go to a strength and conditioning class, I would say endurance and some simple body weight exercises should absolutely be incorporated. Conditioning is really important and goes away fairly quickly if not maintained.

Hopefully we all get thru this without too much drama.

Apr 26, 2015
The schools in our metro area have all announced they will be closing 3/16 and remaining closed thru at least 3/28. They have said all community use of facilities are to be cancelled as well. We are a fall softball state - but this means any teams that use a HS field to practice will not have access to those facilities. Our indoor facility has not closed as of yet.

Dd's hitting coach has gone to facetime lessons only until she is able to find a suitable outdoor location to conduct lessons. It is March here so we could definitely still see snow. So it may be a while before DD can get back into a regular hitting schedule with her.

DD was going to run track to help with speed and agility but spring sports have been put on hold until April 6th at least. She is now finding ways to work out on her own (or with a "social" running group from her school)

Edited to update:

DD's track team has collectively decided to forego their running groups. They have a group chat to keep each other accountable but will now be running on their own. Sad...but understandable.

Her indoor hitting facility has decided they will stay open to one team (no parents) at a time. Haven't decided what we will do about this yet but leaning towards not going.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06