With regard to softball commentators - a pet peeve - great softball players are NOT studs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
For me, it isn't so much a case of political correctness. Calling a woman a stud is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. It just doesn't fit in my mind.
Being an old fart from an a different era I will say that it has caught my attention more than once as I've heard the term "stud" being used. Our language is constantly changing. One of my DD's who is a Freshm..., er, uh, I mean a First Year just told me last week that her teammates have all started joking with her about the big, old fashioned words and language she uses...made me proud!

An old joke/phrase (for the male gender types in the audience) that we don't hear much anymore...."I may be a Bastard but I'll never be a Bitch".

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Verified I am old - 'studette' is a nice way of saying 'jockette'?

Apr 25, 2020
I occasionally hear a commentator refer to a great player as a real stud. And I remember Sierra Romero tweeting that her sister was a real stud after hitting a home run. Now, I am fairly progressive. And I don't have a problem with the fact that terms like "you guys" have become gender neutral. And I know that many people are so far removed from our agrarian roots that if you say something is help together with baling wire, for example, they look at you strangely.

Having said all that, a stud performs certain functions which simply don't apply to woman and I wish the announcers would cease and desist.
I see absolutely no problem with the term. Nor do the players. another good choice would be "dude". You can always turn your volume off (which often isn't a bad choice with some of these telecasts anyway......)

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I occasionally hear a commentator refer to a great player as a real stud. And I remember Sierra Romero tweeting that her sister was a real stud after hitting a home run. Now, I am fairly progressive. And I don't have a problem with the fact that terms like "you guys" have become gender neutral. And I know that many people are so far removed from our agrarian roots that if you say something is help together with baling wire, for example, they look at you strangely.

Having said all that, a stud performs certain functions which simply don't apply to woman and I wish the announcers would cease and desist.
We are definitely on the same page here. Not only did I hear a "stud" comment and thought it was a little strange", I also heard someone say "held together with baling wire" recently and wondered how many people had no idea what the reference was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut