Why don't teams hustle?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
It is not optional on my team to hustle on and off the field. The girls know this by having to run after games for lack of hustle aka. effort. Time on the bench is also effective.

Dec 28, 2008
Forget the boomers, the x's and the y's, we are now in the "ENTITLED" generation. The game will wait for them until they are good and ready to finish their dugout conversations becasue they are "ENTITLED" to whatever it is they want. Coaches have to set the expectations, and then stick with whatever discipline that they've established as the rule.

Jul 28, 2008
I coach hustle at all times. If you walk from station to station or when I call the girls in, the whole team does sprints. If you walk onto the field, you get some bench time to rest up so you can hustle out next time. Teams that walk on and off the field just plain look bad.

Feb 24, 2010
I agree with everything said above. DD's travel team had a rule last fall that for every minute you are late for practice/pre-game time you run a lap. Within 1 week BOTH assistant coaches AND THEIR DD's broke the rule but did not run. It has gone on all year long - rules have been made, broken but not punished. DD has questioned me about it all year long and I told her that she can only worry about herself and not others. I wanted to tell her that if she did break a rule, that she should tell the coach that she'd start her punishment after the others completed theirs!

Needless to say, we haven't been very successful this year, and many of the girls (and parents) can't wait for the season to be over.

Reviving an old post here. I see the same thing all the time and it just infuriates me. When I was coaching walking or even a lazy jog was not allowed. Not because I'm a jerk and what I say goes. It was for the "wake up factor". I am a BIG advocate of Dynamic warmups etc. I made it clear from day one and not listening to mewould not be tolerated. If they didn't like it, they could leave. If one player was caught walking or dorking around, I'd call them out and make them choose another player to run a lap. Everyone (I hope) knows the differance between and error and a stupid/lazy error. When I call a lazy error, same thing happens, pick a teammate to run a lap. And I mean RUN, or its 2 laps. OOOOhhh boy did that make a differance. It really made them accountable, and NOBODY wanted to run for someone else, but better yet, NOBODY wanted to pick someone else to run for them. It really pepped the girls up, but boy oh boy it didn't set well with the parents. If their girl ran even ONCE for someone else, I got an ear full. So much parent BS. I don't coach teams anymore because of it. I do train on the side though. All of my girls (and one baseball boy) to include my DD, can be spotted a mile away. Yes they are absolute stars of their teams, but they are first on the field because they knew last batters count and were ready to run on the third strike or put out. They are first off the field and they run like a scalded cat to first base on a run, NO MATTER WHAT. They look hot, they look intense, and they look like athletes. I fired several players for lazy attitudes and ridiculous parents. They got to thinking that I couldn't fire the whole team, but after the 4th or 5th one, they thought differantly. Those girls that remained and the ones that replaced the others are still doing what they were taught and making statements wherever they play. Sports discipline make all the differance in the world. I want my girls and DD to struggle in sports the SAME way I did because I went all the way BECAUSE of it. Baseball paid for my college and I have a fantastic career to provide for my kids. I was given NOTHING but tools to get there. My DD is doing the same and is quite remarkable. Proof is in the pudding so to speak. Now I train on the side, and watch the coach do his job like he is suppose to.

Jun 7, 2010
You run ball the time between the lines. You never walk or jog. I haved preached this from rec all stars. If they are too tired to run out to their positon then they need to come sit by me on the bench and rest. You hustle all the time or you sit and watch other hustle and learn how to do it. It works. The girls will get it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If it were a timed game, it would be easy to understand. The umpires get paid whether they play 2 innings or 6 innings.

Every time I have been behind the plate and told teams to hustle in and hustle out, I have been scolded by either the league rep or my own association UIC that it's not my job to tell the players to hustle - that's the coach's job.

Heaven help the umpire that starts calling balls for defensive delay or strikes for offensive delay - because then the umpire is scolded for taking the game away from the players.

And God forbid that male coaches should try to light a fire under the girls (like they would if it were boys playing) to hustle because that may hurt the girls' self-esteem to be told to hustle by a man.

Yeah, right up until the clock gets close to zero or a curfew is about to take effect, then YOU are not moving them along fast enough.

While I want them to hustle, the game time is theirs. However, I don't want to hear a word if the game comes up against a premature ending due to a clock, weather or darkness. And complaining at that point will only suck up more of the precious time the teams wasted earlier.

Oct 19, 2009
When I played football the coach told a story about motivation here is the story.

It was a miserable day for football it was freezing rain pouring down, the field was freezing in places. The team had a bad day and could do nothing right. At half time it was 48 – 0 and coaches team was on the losing end. The coach’s team all but busted down the door came charging on to the field like a bunch of wild men for the second half.

After the game the radio broadcaster asked the coach what kind of speech he gave the team at half time to get them so fired-up when they busted out of the locker room for the second half. Simple said the coach, I told them the last 11 out the door started the second half!

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
We were at a college exposure tournament last month. A college coach was sitting behind the backstop watching the opposing pitcher. Neither the pitcher, nor any of her teammates hustled on and off the field. We all wondered why they were at an exposure tournament if they weren't going to show any effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse