Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
The hourly rate is pretty good. But are you going to be busy enough? Seems like kids have this pesky thing called school. So you're left with only working nights and weekends.

Working as a contractor... $60-100/hr isn't all it is cracked up to be unless you have a spouse that can lock down things like insurance through their employment.
I completely understand that, but my point is that it is a skill that is valuable and can earn you money.

May 13, 2023
The hourly rate is pretty good. But are you going to be busy enough? Seems like kids have this pesky thing called school. So you're left with only working nights and weekends.
There are plenty of jobs that people are left with mandatory working nights and weekends. 🤷‍♀️

The internet has helped tremendously with these type of gig instructor jobs because filling a schedule can be online. In many most situations they are their own boss.
Depending on the amount of money instructors want to make often are able to make their own schedules. Including scheduling their own vacation time.
Even as a supplemental income can be an outstanding addition to a regular
full-time job.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023
I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Hell, I just had this conversation with my own daughter who gets tired of having catching instruction from "baseball guys." I told her that maybe her calling is coaching and to be that female advocate for future generations. But that's what is available in our area at the moment if you want to chase greatness you just make the best of it.

Whether it's coaching, or it's umpiring, I see these numbers per hour thrown around like these folks are just rolling in cash. It just isn't true.

And just because you played, or how well you played, doesn't mean you can coach. It's NOT the same skill.

May 13, 2023
Whether it's coaching, or it's umpiring, I see these numbers per hour thrown around like these folks are just rolling in cash.
It just isn't true.
How can you say it isn't true when people ARE bringing in an income? At what point are you negating income, what dollar amount?

And just because you played, or how well you played, doesn't mean you can coach. It's NOT the same skill.
Agree,
But I would also add that there are plenty of other jobs that even when people get degrees are terrible at their jobs. 🤷‍♀️ people getting a degree in something they have no work experience in yet.

For those who have played and for those who have had instruction including experiences at clinics can develop a skill set to be able to be a good instructor or coach. College student athletes can get both a degree in what they want and have the skill set in their sport.
For that matter even without a degree in college can still have an income through softball/sports.

Heck there are plenty of parents who simply taking their kids to hitting instruction and pitching instruction start instructing and making an income of Their Own.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I guess I'm just a failure at expressing my point. I will leave now.
Don't do that. This is a discussion. You are entitled to your opinion. No one wins when members feel that they are being driven out of a thread. Heck, there are many of us, not referencing you, who try to convey their point, and for whatever reason, others don't understand the point. That is the problem with a message board and not being face-to-face. It is like telling everyone how good-looking I am. You can't appreciate it until you see it. :eek:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd gives lessons. She just wrapped up her first sessions. She will take a break and then start again. Despite my advice, she took in 25 hitters. Like me, she does not charge much, and often not at all. For her, it is more about relationships and helping kids. Despite my advice to myself, I am taking in a VERY LIMITED number of hitters to start soon. I told the person setting this up, (I am doing someone a favor.) that I don't care about the money. The response back was that these hitters are currently paying $65/half hour. DANG! If I get paid at all, it will be $20/half hour. At $65/half hour, a hitting coach could do reasonably well if they had the right agreement with the facilities that they use. Most in our area do 2 hitters at a time. That is $130/ half hour. See my mad math skills! I won't do that.

Aug 15, 2021
I understand Nuwin's point. They weren't trying to insult anyone that does this for a living. There are going to be people that are really good at making a living from this, but I think they were just pointing out that $60-$100/hr sounds like a lot of money, but if you don't have a consistent customer base it could be tough.
If you look at what a middle class income is (Motely Fool says, $55K-$90K/year) you would need to have about 17-18 lessons a week for 52 weeks to hit the bottom end of that at $60/hr. It's a good point. However, there are many that do this for a living and I am sure are successful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi