Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Excellent points.

Academic scholarships at D3 though are variable. For example, 2 top D3 conferences - NESCAC and UAA have few to no schools with academic scholarships.

Correct. That’s because they attract top academic students. They all had to achieve top test scores (unless TO) and top GPA’s to get admitted. Difficult to differentiate who should receive an academic scholarship at that level.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The question of why D-I is a great question. Unless your DD is going to play professionally or play for Team USA, the better question might be why not play at a school that has a decent program, the major your DD wants and be a school where you and your DD won't be hampered by debt when she graduates.

May 10, 2019
This is what I would like to know. How many well-known softball athletes have successful careers outside of softball once they graduate? Just like several people have said on this form before. Look at the majors of the athletes at the top D1 softball schools and their playing time. This will tell you a lot.
I know I'm replying to an old comment, but outside of their major, consider the fact that they now have a skilled trade of sorts for the rest of their lives in softball. Youth softball is exploding so much, there is great money to be made as an instructor. Making connections within a D1 school also might hold more weight (more boosters to mingle with) for after graduation.

Aug 5, 2022
I’m going to caveat this by saying I am not, in any way, assuming what angispeds can afford, nor their financial situation; but what I think she is saying here is that due to their finances, they make enough money that they will not qualify for need-based aid. Hence it was worth it for them to go with an athletic scholarship at a D1 program to help with the cost of college.

Many families make enough that they don’t qualify for aid but that does not necessarily mean that paying full college tuition would be easy for them at certain schools. Yes, many D3‘s offer merit money, but even with that they can still be costly. Merit money also has specific requirements, typically based on academic ability. Many people also don’t want to saddle their kids with student loans if they don’t have to.

Yes you interpreted what I poorly stated appropriately. We do not qualify for any need based aid. My daughter is a solid student but would not qualify for merit aid at a top academic institution. We were absolutely willing to consider all levels of softball as her journey to her collegiate career developed but the reality is we were trying to make sure she was being not only softball smart but financially smart. We want her to have a solid education, a great college experience both in softball and socially at school, and not be saddled with loans. Only time will tell if she made the right decision but her softball scholarship far exceeds the academic scholarship she earned at her chosen school so without it despite our ability to contribute she would be significantly in debt or have had to choose something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2022
The question of why D-I is a great question. Unless your DD is going to play professionally or play for Team USA, the better question might be why not play at a school that has a decent program, the major your DD wants and be a school where you and your DD won't be hampered by debt when she graduates.

This is is 100 the way we looked at. DD is smart and hard working but she’s not a top academic student. I think she’ll have a great life. Many posters on her seem to assume very softball player has 4.0 and a 30 on their act and wants to be a scientist or engineer. That’s not my kid…for better or worse it’s not.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I know I'm replying to an old comment, but outside of their major, consider the fact that they now have a skilled trade of sorts for the rest of their lives in softball. Youth softball is exploding so much, there is great money to be made as an instructor. Making connections within a D1 school also might hold more weight (more boosters to mingle with) for after graduation.
Great money?????

May 13, 2023
Yes you interpreted what I poorly stated appropriately. We do not qualify for any need based aid. My daughter is a solid student but would not qualify for merit aid at a top academic institution. We were absolutely willing to consider all levels of softball as her journey to her collegiate career developed but the reality is we were trying to make sure she was being not only softball smart but financially smart. We want her to have a solid education, a great college experience both in softball and socially at school, and not be saddled with loans. Only time will tell if she made the right decision but her softball scholarship far exceeds the academic scholarship she earned at her chosen school so without it despite our ability to contribute she would be significantly in debt or have had to choose something else.

Excellent well-rounded approach.
Think there is no argument to be made against the thoughtful considerations you put into the decision made!

This is a wonderful example of taking a look at how money is going to be spent or endured in debt. Along with the individual goal!

May 13, 2023
Why would the Division Level even matter then if you were 'financially sound' enough , no need for aid?
Money is still important!

I'm not saying that there were any mistakes made on your daughter's decision, because I wouldnt know that. But it seems like you may be insuating that if an athlete goes to a Div 2 or Div 3 program they would be saddled with debt. That's just not the case. And I sometimes feel parents overthink this Division Level option.

My two cents - and this is for parents to consider (perhaps with a grain of salt) - but I think it's VITAL that your Daughter (in this case if its Softball) makes sure the College they attend STRONGLY supports their major FIRST and foremost. My kids that go on to play at the collegiate level are NOT going to go out and make a career in Softball - but instead they will be leveraging their education as much as possible as they forge into their careers.

And I've got news for having kids at all levels of Softball ...............there are MANY Div 3 programs that can (and have) beat Div 1 and 2 programs. Unless you are playing at the TOP CREAM of the CROP program, girls Softball at the Collegiate Level will have lots of talent.

Additionally, one of my kids went on to play at a very small private pricey college, its a Division 3 school. She was talked to and recruited for many Div 1 programs ....she chose her school based on her Major first (and school strength) - Pre Med Bio / Neurology . Based on her Merit Scholarship and our asset management of funds , she will not have a penny of dollars owed after she finishes school.

Concluding (and this is JMO ) - find the program that offers a definitive career pathway, while offering up a strong Softball program. Dont overthink it - School First.............School First...................School First........then Softball (as hard as that is for me to say, its just being real about it )
What I found about reading your post was nowhere in it was considering debt...

The post you were replying to by @angispeds do not think was insinuating D2 or D3 would be saddled with dept.

Rather they took a look at the option that D1 offered that included athletic money and found a value in that within their overall decision.

That is to say that there are situations where there is athletic money that is offered in D1 that wasn't offered to the same degree at the other institutions of D2 and D3.

Within your post commenting try to find a definitive career pathway. While that is a great goal. I think there is a bit of a mistake in that to not reflect further on the financial ramifications. Potentially Financially saddling someone with a pile of debt to try and take on while following the career pathway can make it extraordinarily difficult.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023
Pitching, hitting, and catching instructors charge between $60-$100 an hour in my area. I'd say that is pretty great.
The hourly rate is pretty good. But are you going to be busy enough? Seems like kids have this pesky thing called school. So you're left with only working nights and weekends.

Working as a contractor... $60-100/hr isn't all it is cracked up to be unless you have a spouse that can lock down things like insurance through their employment.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi