Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Something that came as a (pleasant) surprise during DD’s recruiting process at the university that she is currently attending, was finding out how they applied the % athletic scholarship.

It was on the total cost attendance, including books, fees, etc. It also included the most expensive dorm option. Which is probably typical, but what surprised us was that even when DD would move off campus, the COA total was still based on that dorm cost.

It is substantially cheaper to live off campus at her school and the university only requires one year of living in the dorms. So DD basically nets another $6K in athletic money for each of her last three years just by not living in the dorms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the meal plans are a total rip off.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Raising good kids IS an accomplishment! The illusion of status is fleeting and humorous when folks flaunt it or haven't earned it for themselves.
Yes it’s an accomplishment and others will tell you how great your kid is and you say thank you. If you have to bring up how great your kid is and what a great job you did at raising them, maybe not.

Oct 3, 2019
For some I have seen they are lost. Their jobs were softball and once they graduate they are not fully prepared for the next steps. This goes for many high level athletes in all sports.
I guess I should be okay with the fact that my granddaughter doesn't care to play in college then... Keep hoping she changes her mind, but for what? :(

May 20, 2016
My DD had D1 offers but SHE decided she wanted to go to a D3 school to play. She didn't want her college life to be about softball. She found a school that she really loves and has a great track record with job placement in the field she wants to study after graduation. Lucky for me she is a sharp kid and knows that it's just a game and will have no baring on the rest of her life. She'll play competitive softball and get a great education. With much more time to focus on academics and preparing for her future.

Apr 25, 2019
It can make college free or affordable. It can allow you to go to a school you otherwise wouldn’t be able to, It gives you a set of experiences that is unique.

This is absolutely correct. My DD is going to a Group of 5 D1 and her academics made her tuition free for the 4 years AND her freshman year's dorm paid for. Her athletic money (assuming nothing crazy happens) will cover her meal plans and books. After her freshman year, if she gets an apartment, she can use that athletic money for rent. My goal for my daughters has always been to get them through their Bachelor's degrees without any student loan debt and D1 made this possible.

May 17, 2023
My daughter's meal plan is $5,710 per year. If you average 15 weeks per semester, and 30 weeks per year, that's $190 per week for food. Oh, and she said the dining hall food is gross.

My roommate at I ate like kings by taking our meal money in cash each year instead of the dining plan. We had a grill in outside our apartments and had steaks or chicken most nights. Might have even had a few of those dollars go towards beer :ROFLMAO:

As much as athletes are gone there is no way it makes sense not to do that if the university allows.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My roommate at I ate like kings by taking our meal money in cash each year instead of the dining plan. We had a grill in outside our apartments and had steaks or chicken most nights. Might have even had a few of those dollars go towards beer :ROFLMAO:

As much as athletes are gone there is no way it makes sense not to do that if the university allows.
Most don't allow it anymore, so my daughter is stuck with piss-poor food.

May 17, 2023
Most don't allow it anymore, so my daughter is stuck with piss-poor food.

I guess university wants to maximize their cafeteria usage, but ours was the worst.

I gained weight because the only things edible were ice cream and waffles. Lost it all the next few years eating fresh protein and vegetables on our own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi