Who's Wrong? Me or Blue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Hard to decide who is right or wrong based on the info provided, but I say I have seen a few umpires who think they know more than they do, and I have seen a TON of coaches who think they know more than they do...
I teach my catchers to operate from runners on stance when a runner is on base. He wanted them to put one knee in the ground and rest their other forearm on the other knee. Then, drop the 2nd knee to throw the ball from their knees. Not what I teach. Don't want them doing it that way. Would risk a loss in rec to ensure proper mechanics.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I teach my catchers to operate from runners on stance when a runner is on base. He wanted them to put one knee in the ground and rest their other forearm on the other knee. Then, drop the 2nd knee to throw the ball from their knees. Not what I teach. Don't want them doing it that way. Would risk a loss in rec to ensure proper mechanics.

DD is a pitcher, so my knowledge of catching couldn't fill a thimble, but I would suggest following whatever NECC recommends. I imagine catching is a lot like pitching, one method may not work for everyone and sometimes they have to go through some trial and error to find what works best for their skill set.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Simple answer. " Blue. while I truly appreciate the help you're trying to give my catcher, I would really appreciate it if you didn't do so. I'm trying to teach my catchers how to call pitches and they're trying to focus on that. If their receiving skills aren't up to snuff as far as your opinion goes that's my fault and I'd appreciate it if you'd give them a little bit of a break and let me instruct them on what they're doing wrong so we can get down to the correct framing in the future.. Right now, that's not our focus" I have found that this works about 90% of the time at the Rec level.

That said, an Umpire's job is to call balls, strikes, out at bases and other assorted rules. His job is not to coach a player but to do the aforementioned. Coaching a player is the coach's job.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I think it's OK for the ump at younger rec ages to offer a few friendly pointers.

But if the coach comes up and asks him not to coach his players because they are working on specific things, he should refrain from giving any more friendly pointers.

nailed it, but when asking this of the ump, coahc should do so quietly without any drama.

Aug 19, 2012
Seems to be a fairly general consensus that it's not the umps job to be coaching....however a big chunk of learning to be a successful catcher is learning to work with and manage umpires. After you coach for a few years you also come to realize there is a fairly small group of umpires in a given area, if you stick at it for awhile you will likely get this same umpire repeatedly. Lots of highly experienced former coaches take up umpiring....so sometimes the advice comes from a place of knowing something. Not saying you can't ever disagree with them but it is a good idea to pick your battles. If this had happened to me and the catcher compllained to me between innings I would have her tell the umpire that the coach had asked her to do something a specific way and she didn't want to get him in trouble with them but that they would try what umpy suggested next practice. If that doesn't work and you need to approach the ump do so quietly between innings and tread carefully.

Last edited:

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
"Blue, I am really grateful that you are trying to help my catcher. But it's really hard on her to hear one thing from the coaches in practice then another from an umpire during a game, and she's told me she is really stressed about it. Can you save the tips for post-game, and maybe meet with us after the game to chat about what you were telling her? I'm sure you have seen a lot of catchers and have good advice to offer, but after the game is probably a better time than during. Thanks!"

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hmmm....I've often wanted to use this same phrase (in reverse) with several coaches.....

If negotiations proceed to this stage, IME they usually break down at the request to borrow blue's jock and protective cup. At which time both parties laugh and live happily ever after.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00