Who was duped???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Apologies for the typo. The NCAA rule is 6.19.1.4.

And now I have to ask...

If you weren't even aware that this was an NCAA rule, then how would you know if it was being taken out of context or not properly interpreted? :confused:

I had preformed a textual search of the NCAA ruleset on the word "delay" and found it exclusively used in either the context of the pace or flow of the game. Or its use was well removed, such as delayed dead ball. Nowhere is the word "delay" used in the context of the duration or inevitable conclusion of the game.

6.19.1.4 If a team employs tactics obviously designed to delay or shorten the game. In order to apply this rule you would need to place the word "delay" into the context of the duration or conclusion of the game. Yet nowhere else in the rules is the word used in such a context. Again you are free to interpret it as such but I feel it would be a stretch.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
11.21 Interference by Batter
Batter interference occurs while the batter is at bat and before she completes her
turn at bat.
11.21.1 The batter shall not step from one batter’s box, directly in front of the
catcher, to the other batter’s box while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch.
EFFECT—The ball is dead, the batter is out, and each base runner must
return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

Note: No mention of ejection, forfeit, or any other imaginary penalty akin to "deceiving the defense".

OP specifically said ASA.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Really????

Let's see...you are playing in a game with a time limit of 80 minutes, no new inning is to start after that time.
You are the home team and are losing by three runs. There is two outs and no runners on and about 20 seconds left before the time expires. You instruct your batter to step from one batter's box to the other to end the inning so you get another chance to bat. You have DELAYED the ending of the game by your tactic.

Not really. You would have to assume that the team that was up to bat with 2 outs, wouldn't have gotten enough hits and runs to win the game in the bottom of that last inning. I don't believe you can assume that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not really. You would have to assume that the team that was up to bat with 2 outs, wouldn't have gotten enough hits and runs to win the game in the bottom of that last inning. I don't believe you can assume that.

The umpire doesn't have to assume anything, just witness and judge the act(s) of the players and/or coaches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd