Who at the NCAA doesn't like Tim Walton?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Who at the NCAA doesn't like Tim Walton (Florida's coach)? Or, perhaps the better question: Why don't they like Tim Walton?

Florida won the Eastern Conference of the SEC with a 21-7 record, and had a 56-11 record over all. Alabama won the Western Conference with a 19-7 record, and a 53-11 overall record.

Florida did go out earlier than Alabama in the SEC championship, but neither won the SEC tournament.

Alabama gets the #2 seed while Florida gets a #4 seed. On what basis is Alabama seeded higher than Florida?

Then, somehow, someway UCLA ends up in Florida's regional. UCLA??? I don't care what the record is...UCLA is dangerous. After UCLA, then Florida gets Oregon in the super-regional.

It sounds to me like someone was out to make sure Florida went nowhere this year.

Sep 3, 2009
Alabama was seeded higher based on RPI. That's how they set the seeds.
2011 NCAA Women's Softball RPI

No big conspiracy against Florida... they got plenty of breaks along the way, Oregon, really? They had some great games in OKC, but couldn't pull through when it counted. That and they seem to have trouble with the rise. Better luck to them next year.

Jul 28, 2008
It's his John Olerud style hat. That's all I can think of. Either that or it's just Florida they don't like. ;)

I, too, wondered why Alabama was seeded higher. Florida went out and played tough teams during the preseason, while AL was playing patsies. Both proved they are top notch ball clubs, however.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
It sounds to me like someone was out to make sure Florida went nowhere this year.

Kind of hard to argue that Florida would have made it farther if only they'd have gotten a better seeding.

As to having to play against UCLA in the regionals: is there a system to how non-ranked (not in the top 16) teams are assigned to regionals? The name suggest it is a matter of geography, but that doesn't explain all of it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA