Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2011
Do any of you guys have the Zepp system? Ever went out to just see what bat speed it would take to hit a softball 220'? Would be Interesting with different size bats

I could do that test for you, but the only problem with being accurate..... is when using different bats, the pop or how well the bat is broken in can be different. I will say my daughter with a 33" drop -10 swings an avg top end speed of 72mph, and with the same make in a -9 she swings avg top end speed of 69mph. Off of a tee at home plate she hits both around 225' (perhaps the -10 a tiny bit further) on very best shots. This is a 2015 LXT, and I suspect the -10 is a little hotter.

I will also note that she didn't really start hitting the long ball until she went to a 33" bat (9th grade). I will also note that I have an incoming 9th grader that's swing speed is 76mph (higher than the entire Gold Team), and they have to hit it three times before they can claim it -within 10 try's. Even with that bat speed, she cannot hit the distances that slower Gold kids are doing, and she swings a Demarini with same length and weight.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks.

Efficient energy transfer is good. Thats what we try to do. On a ball hit off the end of the bat where does the energy go that isnt transfered to the ball? The bat, right? What effect does that have on amplitude/frequency?

I see a lot of flex in the bat when the ball is hit on the end. Sometimes wood bats are broken on hits off the end. Thats high amplitude! The bat tends to break on the handle. Hmmmm. Do you think the bat would break on the handle if you threw the bat at the ball and hit one off the end?

Good talking to you JJ

You are totally right on this point Ian. I was way off base. I was thinking that it was being struck at a point that would give max amplitude and then this amplitude would then spring back and launch the ball, but that would take the same time as the time to travel from sweet spot to handle since I also assumed this was the fundamental mode. That cannot be true. from the video, the opposite is true in that the sweet spot induces the min vibration into the bat hence the least amount on energy to the bending. Which is what you were saying all along I think.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
You can watch the whole thing or you can start where I've book marked it. Interesting science, though.

[video]https://youtu.be/aoMiOakuteg?t=39m[/video]

I may be wrong, at least on this topic with the Protractors :) But, I see the bat moving on one dimension, some type of swivel below the clamp. I see this swivel action representing the arms and shoulders in rotation. But the actual clamp, which I see representing the hands applies no additional force in this test.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You are totally right on this point Ian. I was way off base. I was thinking that it was being struck at a point that would give max amplitude and then this amplitude would then spring back and launch the ball, but that would take the same time as the time to travel from sweet spot to handle since I also assumed this was the fundamental mode. That cannot be true. from the video, the opposite is true in that the sweet spot induces the min vibration into the bat hence the least amount on energy to the bending. Which is what you were saying all along I think.

Stever, since you've played the game, I'm sure you can confirm that on the balls that you've hit the best that the bat-ball impact isn't even noticeable. This is what Tewks calls a "blackout swing". I've experienced some of these blackouts, but unfortunately not as many as the other kind. These blackout swings should raise a red flag on the notion that the hands or any other part of the body play a role at impact.

ian

Jun 11, 2015

We all will keep striving for the perfect blackout connection. I think stronger is better. Against live pitching more times than not you mis hit the ball. Sorry for sounding like a broken record.

One more question. How long does the ball contact the sweetspot for? I think I read 2 ms.
I saw in the video that the vibration takes 0.6ms to go from barrel to handle.

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Right, on one test I think I read 1.2ms as well.

Is it safe to say the vibration travels from barrel to handle twice as fast as the time it takes the ball to leave the bat?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Right, on one test I think I read 1.2ms as well.

Is it safe to say the vibration travels from barrel to handle twice as fast as the time it takes the ball to leave the bat?

If this true, some of the earlier discussions were based on the ball being gone before the hands felt anything.

And keep in mind the difference is dramatic between wood and composites.

anyone else have a problem typing since the change?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi