Where do I put my slappers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
I have 2 slappers (who can also hit for power), and have 2 more power hitters. I have a girl trying out tomorrow night that is a good slapper and can hit for power as well (I was told this by her HS coach).

So, do I go 1,2,9? 1,6,9?

I also have an excellent bunter, but not the fastest. What are some good strategies?

This is the first year I've been blessed with this much diversity in great hitters. 16U btw.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Obvious answer is, it depends. If both slappers are strong, and approximately equal, and I'm batting nine, then they go 1,2. I want 3,4,5 to have runs to knock in, and that gives me the best chance to have the table set. A third slapper is often in the 7 spot, as that's where we seem to start lots of innings. A third one could go 9, but then you run the risk of three slappers in a row, which can hamstring you offensively.

If I'm in an open batting tourney, with 11 or 12 in the order, 1,2,6 can be great, with, effectively, two batting orders, both 1-6 (or 1-5).

With a strong slapper and a weaker one, I will often go 1,9, and make sure I've got a good bunter/contact hitter in the two spot. Great bunters without a lot of speed often land in the 7 or 8 spot, as a probable set-ups for ekeing out a run before rolling the order over. Slappers who can hit for power (I've had a couple) are great in the three or five spots, and can open up some huge innings.

No matter what we do, we occasionally get into bases loaded, two out with a slapper at the plate. Arrgghh. Worst case scenario--DD on third in that situation (a less gifted base runner). Pulling hard at that point for a four pitch walk.

Good luck. Enjoy your slappers. They make it fun.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have 2 slappers (who can also hit for power), and have 2 more power hitters. I have a girl trying out tomorrow night that is a good slapper and can hit for power as well (I was told this by her HS coach).

So, do I go 1,2,9? 1,6,9?

I also have an excellent bunter, but not the fastest. What are some good strategies?

This is the first year I've been blessed with this much diversity in great hitters. 16U btw.

Best hitter/speed combo, including slappers, first. Highest OBP and steal threat. So could be slapper first, maybe not.

If yes, 1 and 2. Slappers and speed together create pressures that are not normal to a straight up game. Also, if a runner is on base, they block the catcher's view, and throws on lead-offs.

If you have 3 slappers, then they can hit 1, 2, 3. Or 1, 2, 6. Or 1, 2, 9. Put your best hitter RBI person with some speed at 3 if she exists.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In HS we run our two fastest and best slappers in #1 and #2 slots. ( and they are very fast ) Then we have a good hitter that also can lay down a good bunt. ( to score or further advance the runners ) Then we have our best RBI hitters #4 and #5. We score most our runs with this top of the order.

We also have a fast #9 so we don't clog the bases in front of the "wheels" coming up. Because if you have a slow #9, I may walk her to keep the speed #1 / #2 behind the slow poke. ( and I'm sure others do it too )

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Great article on lineup optimization here Optimizing Your Lineup By The Book - Beyond the Box Score
It was written from an MLB presepctive but easily translates to FP. It compares the "convesntional wisdom" lineup to best lineup based on "statistical analisys".

Conclusion is
Here's how the lineup spots rank in the importance of avoiding outs:

#1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9

So, you want your best three hitters to hit in the #1, #4, and #2 spots. Distribute them so OBP is higher in the order and SLG is lower. Then place your fourth and fifth best hitters, with the #5 spot usually seeing the better hitter, unless he's a high-homerun guy. Then place your four remaining hitters in decreasing order of overall hitting ability, with basestealers ahead of singles hitters. Finally, stop talking like the lineup is a make-or-break decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06