When to grant time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2012
This happened last night while I was umpiring a Babe Ruth 10U game:

The batter hits a nice single to RCF and hits in 2 runs. The as the ball is being returned from the outfield, the defensive coach gets frustrated with his pitcher and decides to make a change (P to 1B, 1B to C, & C to P). So as the ball gets to the short stop, he yells for time and pulls in his C & 1B. Mind you the runner has rounded 1B and is about 10' off the bag and the ball isn't close to the circle. I don't grant his time as the play isn't over, but both players leave the field anyway. Well the shortstop puts the ball down near 2B and goes to chat with the 3B. During the gear switch, the runner never returns to 1B, but doesn't proceed either. Eventually the new pitcher decides to pick up the ball and head to the mound.

I finally granted time when the pitcher found the circle, as the runner went back to base as well. That produced a very confused look on the 3B coaches face as she realized what she could have done.

Anyway I'm interested in people's opinion of the call. The ball was never truly dead, but the runner wasn't attempting to advance either. I'm glad nothing occurred because I received this game after the previous meeting of these two teams led to multiple ejections from both sides.

Jun 22, 2008
Did the coach walk out onto the field, or just start moving players around from the side of the field? With the ball not back in the circle and a runner still off base, no, I would not be granting time. But, if the coach just yelled time and then went marching out onto the field you would probably then need to kill it and then explain to the coach not to enter the field until he has been granted time.

Mar 8, 2012
Did the coach walk out onto the field, or just start moving players around from the side of the field? With the ball not back in the circle and a runner still off base, no, I would not be granting time. But, if the coach just yelled time and then went marching out onto the field you would probably then need to kill it and then explain to the coach not to enter the field until he has been granted time.

He did all this from the sideline. He didn't come off his bucket to get everything done.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Coach can ask for time whenever he wants to...it's up to the umpire to grant time, however.

The only suggestion I would make is when the coach asked for time with the ball still live, tell him...not now, coach...wait.
If he and/or his players then proceed to stop playing, at least you tried to prevent that.

You are fortunate that the offense did not recognize the situation and try to get the runner moving.....even though you were absolutely correct in your actions, if the runner had advanced, you would now have an already frustrated defensive coach who probably would have been ready to blame you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd