When is rec ball no longer rec ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
A couple of years ago, the league drafted a 10u team with no coach. There were approximately 50 signups, but only 3 coaches. We have an annual dinner where the coaches meet their teams for the first time and that was when those players found out they had no coach. One of the dads stepped up and took the team. They had a really rough season, but had a good time and almost all the girls came back to play the following year. Thankfully, he returned to coach the following year, too, and had a really good season with a new group that he drafted himself. This past spring, *I* was the one who had to take a team at the last minute before players evals.

Based on the growth of the league, we anticipate needing possibly 7-8 coaches for our 10u division in the spring. We have 3 returning, and 3 probables coming up from 8u. But we have no idea who else might be interested. We all had 13-player rosters in the spring and both 10u fall teams are carrying 13 as well, but I do not want that many players again, unless 1 or 2 of them are splitting time between rec and a TB team. I want our league to select the coaches and then set a player registration limit based on the number of approved coaches we have.
It could be a great experiance for a high school senoir or college girl to coach,it looks good on a college app. too.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The last year that I coached Rec I had 17 girls. One of the worst coaching experiences of my life. I felt like I wasn't able to teach anybody anything.

That sounds like a nightmare. You can almost have your "even inning fielding lineup" and your "odd inning fielding lineup".

Jan 31, 2011
I am sorry, maybe rec is competitive in your area, but here it is not. This is not snobbish, because I coached rec for 3 years and we had a great time. I played everyone and we rotated positions and ended up #1 or #2 each year. But in reality, we were #1 or #2 because I had 3 of my TB girls on the team. Rec is for recreation, and is not the same as TB in general.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
IMHO
Rec Team- Team formed with players who are within a geographic boundry. Anyone who signs up, makes a team. Amount of teams determined only by number of girls who register
TB Team- No boundries. Girls can be cut. Play teams from other towns and states.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1