When is it too hot??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
We have played n games in Northern CA when it is 110. Brutal conditions, but at least it wasn't turf. My oldest daughter literally fainted due to heat in a game a few years ago, scared the hell out of us. It turned out she had been eating a ton of seeds and not drinking anywhere near enough water. But they had her in for EKG's after the same thing happened at school a few days later.

We played in your Elk Grove earlier this year it was 104. Once in Folsom it was 105, DD didn't pass out, but was very close and had to sit out the next day games.

Jun 12, 2015
Joe, those are the days when I cringe at people who say we have a dry heat. :) Yes, it isn't humid, but it is still a lot for the kids to handle.

I went to AZ in July once. When it's that hot I'm not sure the fact that it's dry makes any difference. It was miserable! And being from the SE, the dryness was not a good thing. I'm used to humid. I felt like my skin was going to just shrivel up and fall off.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Joe, those are the days when I cringe at people who say we have a dry heat. :) Yes, it isn't humid, but it is still a lot for the kids to handle.

Yeah - we hear that dry heat thing all the time here. DD's hottest tourney was in Utah when she was a 14U. 108 and she was the only catcher for her team. The umpires announced at the beginning of each game that they were encouraging unlimited water breaks for the pitchers and catchers and in one game the plate umpire yelled at the other team's coaches for not getting their catcher water. They checked with the girls all of the time and let the coaches bring out frog togs during the games. They also changed the pool games from drop dead to no new so that the coaches wouldn't be hesitant to use the water breaks.

Jun 11, 2013
We just got home from our weekend tournament. I don't know what too hot is, but this was approaching it. It was 108 both days with a bit of humidity. Our first game was at 3:00 on Saturday with our last at 3:30 on Sunday. 6 games in 26 hours on BLD artificial turf. After our final game we had one parent walk on the field to take some pictures and she was just shocked how hot it was on the turf. A kid we played the first game on Saturday was throwing up after the game and I think it woke our girls up to drink more.

I had a dream of watching DD hit one out in Yankee Stadium. She hit one to CF that hit a foot short and bounced over. Oh well, maybe next year. I honestly don't know how it didn't get out.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
It did end up getting pretty warm in Fla this weekend but nothing too bad. When we drove in to central Texas last night at 11:45 pm, it was still 93 degrees. I'm not sure it got over 95 in fla in the daytime.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I went to AZ in July once. When it's that hot I'm not sure the fact that it's dry makes any difference. It was miserable! And being from the SE, the dryness was not a good thing. I'm used to humid. I felt like my skin was going to just shrivel up and fall off.

I live in that heat you describe and I just returned from of week of umpiring in the Atlanta area. Give me the higher temps with low humidity every time.

In the drier climates, the evaporative effect works to help cool you off...misters and wet towels applied will evaporate and provide a cooling effect. In the high humidity, the sweat and moisture just clings to you body and it is more difficult to cool down.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I can't speak from personal experience playing in the heat but just last Monday when we were having that nasty heat in PA we had near if not over 100 degree heat and my brother was playing baseball and my little sister was playing softball. When we went to their games, we took a few different igloo water chests with the unscrewable lids and we filled one with Gatorade and 12 and 20 oz. bottles full or water that was frozen so it would stay cold. We did the same for us that were sitting there watching them play and did another for my brothers baseball team. The teams supplied cooling towels for the players as well.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You discover what HOT really is when you play a ball game in the United Arab Emirates in July.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi