What's your preference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2009
Not really. I'm fine with a junker. I just know she has to be very fine in terms of control compared to the faster pitcher. All else being even I'll take the speed sure but everything is never even. Who's tougher menally. Who will go multiple innings and games without fading. Who's parents are more supportive. And the list goes on. but it really comes down to, who gets outs. You want Maddux or Ryan? Ideally you want both.

Good Answer!! give yourself an oreo.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Age is a factor. At young ages, the girls can't hit 55+mph pitching and can't hit really good breaking pitches. As girls become older, they become strong and more skilled with their hitting, so a pitcher with only speed or only breaking pitches will struggle.

55 MPH at 12U is almost unhittable. There is no need for a changeup or junk if a girl throws that fast.

65 MPH fastballs are hittable at D1. A pitcher has to be able to throw breaking pitches. On the other hand, if a pitcher doesn't throw over 60 MPH at D1, they will have limited success no matter how many breaking pitches they have.

At D1, the pitcher has to "pitch" rather than throw the ball--she has to have a breaking pitch and control, and she has to be able to change speeds.

Feb 4, 2009
Age is a factor. At young ages, the girls can't hit 55+mph pitching and can't hit really good breaking pitches. As girls become older, they become strong and more skilled with their hitting, so a pitcher with only speed and or only breaking pitches will struggle.

55 MPH at 12U is almost unhittable. There is no need for a changeup or junk if a girl throws that fast.

On the other hand, 65 MPH fastballs are hittable at D1. A pitcher has to be able to throw breaking pitches. On the other hand, if a pitcher doesn't throw over 60 MPH at D1, they will have limited success no matter how many breaking pitches they have.

At D1, the pitcher has to "pitch" rather than throw the ball--she has to have a breaking pitch and control, and she has to be able to change speeds.

excellent answer... since i am in a good mood you get two oreos.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying