What's your motivation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Should a high school softball program's sole purpose be college softball scholarships for all its players? Should making the high school team be based whether or not the player has this as her goal? I say, "NO!" It's entirely different if a private team has this as a try-out prerequisite.

Oct 2, 2015
Originally posted by JAD...If your DD really wants to play college softball and is willing to go where there is an opportunity and she is an A-level player, there will be a spot for her somewhere, but it may be in North Dakota (not that there is anything wrong with that....)

My DDs scowled and then laughed at the North Dakota comment! :D

For us, the DD showed up too a little late to the party....my DD's strength, size and talent (power hitting) decided not to show up in full force until her first year of 16U. We saw a flicker of it in her 2nd 14U season, but it literally never crossed ours minds once, that she had a chance to play at college at any level.
We were told by some of the HS and TB coaches in the area that played college ball, to at least get the DD to some local college camps and Showcases to get her some exposure.
We are learning that being a power hitter means nothing, when you're playing against girls that have jedi-ninja speed.
This is all surreal to us at this point. I respect the heck out of all of you, for all the dedication you guys/gals have to your DDs with the unbelievable amount of time and money you dedicate to the sport.
I literally and naively, had no idea what this was all about.
Scholarship wise, we know there is little or no chance of her receiving anything when 2020 girls are getting verballed. ( I had not idea what the heck verballed was until June of this year)

But for my DD she loves playing fastpitch year round now. Where as up until last year she played from March until July, and ball was over.
Since there are 2 main girls sports season up here, hockey and ...hockey, fastpitch plays second fiddle to most everything.

She loves meeting all the girls at the various games and tournaments in the domes, even though college ball may not be on the table since we are too late to the dance...

Me? ...I just love watching her hit the hell out of the ball.

Thanks to all for the info on the journeys you've experienced! We are learning a lot!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Should a high school softball program's sole purpose be college softball scholarships for all its players? Should making the high school team be based whether or not the player has this as her goal? I say, "NO!" It's entirely different if a private team has this as a try-out prerequisite.

How did HS softball come up in this conversation? HS ball has very little to do with recruiting other than HS coaches getting their pictures taken with players signing their NLI....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Originally posted by JAD...If your DD really wants to play college softball and is willing to go where there is an opportunity and she is an A-level player, there will be a spot for her somewhere, but it may be in North Dakota (not that there is anything wrong with that....)

My DDs scowled and then laughed at the North Dakota comment! :D

For us, the DD showed up too a little late to the party....my DD's strength, size and talent (power hitting) decided not to show up in full force until her first year of 16U. We saw a flicker of it in her 2nd 14U season, but it literally never crossed ours minds once, that she had a chance to play at college at any level.
We were told by some of the HS and TB coaches in the area that played college ball, to at least get the DD to some local college camps and Showcases to get her some exposure.
We are learning that being a power hitter means nothing, when you're playing against girls that have jedi-ninja speed.
This is all surreal to us at this point. I respect the heck out of all of you, for all the dedication you guys/gals have to your DDs with the unbelievable amount of time and money you dedicate to the sport.
I literally and naively, had no idea what this was all about.
Scholarship wise, we know there is little or no chance of her receiving anything when 2020 girls are getting verballed. ( I had not idea what the heck verballed was until June of this year)

But for my DD she loves playing fastpitch year round now. Where as up until last year she played from March until July, and ball was over.
Since there are 2 main girls sports season up here, hockey and ...hockey, fastpitch plays second fiddle to most everything.

She loves meeting all the girls at the various games and tournaments in the domes, even though college ball may not be on the table since we are too late to the dance...

Me? ...I just love watching her hit the hell out of the ball.

Thanks to all for the info on the journeys you've experienced! We are learning a lot!

Your DD sounds like a perfect candidate for my JUCO suggestion! You should reach out to Riseball for some advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd