what's the best way to increase pitch speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
............She's 14 and has gone from 46 to 49 in the past few months just standing still........

My daughter is at that speed also from standing on her right leg only and pushing off toward the target. With the right mechanics
she is in the 48-50 range. At full pitch she is at 55-57. This drill has helped her keep the ball tight to her body and has
given her pinpoint control.

Feb 6, 2009
My daughter is at that speed also from standing on her right leg only and pushing off toward the target. With the right mechanics
she is in the 48-50 range. At full pitch she is at 55-57. This drill has helped her keep the ball tight to her body and has
given her pinpoint control.

I used to do that with her too but now I just have her open to 45 degrees or so after warming up and throw 5-10 as hard as she can focusing on arm speed, whip, right shoulder down, using lat muscles. She throws consistent 53-55 so I know she can get some more from her legs too. I'm heard girls can eventually get about 10MPH over the standing throw speed.

Feb 6, 2009

Most of what is on that site makes sense excpet the paragrach I cut and paste below. When you throw using internal rotation it's diificult to think fingers "behind the ball". Thinking that way would make me think ball to second base at top and pushing ball down. As we know the ball doesn't face 2nd and the fingers are not "behind the ball" on downswing. They are not actually behind ball completely at release using internal rotaion.

Fingers behind the ball – This is such a fundamental recommendation that it seems it doesn’t deserve mention here. However, even some experienced pitchers were taught to release the ball by rolling their fingers up the outside. Others use a "twist release" somewhat similar to the release of a screwball. A typical 3-finger fastball grip and release forces a faster pitch by having the fingers “driving” the ball through with power and speed. If the fingers are on the side of the ball at the release point, speed will decrease.

Feb 6, 2009
The arm isn't coming down with gravity any more under hand than it is overhand. There are a bunch of muscles in the core and back being used too. Same as when you throw overhand.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Well, you got me on that one. I've never been a young girl. And neither has Bill Hillhouse, Ken Krause, Boardmember, and Ernie Parker, to name a few.

I have no idea what this means...but it sounds like it means something.

Neither have I Ray but I have been told you look good in Drag. Lol. Sorry I couldnt resist pulling the chain a little. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi