What should the call have been?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
DD's team played in a tournament over the weekend and ran into the following situation:

Runners at second and third. Hard grounder hit between SS and the 2 base. SS was playing up in front of the baseline. Ball got through very quick. SS turned to chase after it towards the grass and collides with the base runner on her way to third. Field ump called interference and called the runner out.

I personally thought it should've been an obstruction called and base runner would've been awarded third had they thrown her out. Ball actually was hit into a nice gap and she would've scored on that play easily.

Same ump was behind the plate on a previous game of ours and situation was where a bunted ball was hit, the bat was dropped in fair territory towards the first base line and the ball then rolled into the bat in fair territory. He said bat was part of the playing field so therefore, fair ball/live ball. When we questioned another ump about it later, he said it should've been a dead ball once it hit the bat the second time.

What's the right call?

Jun 22, 2008
Your first situation, if the umpire felt F6 had a legitimate chance to field the ball and make a play then interference was the correct call.

Your second, if the bat is out of the batters hands and laying motionless on the ground it becomes part of the field. If the ball hits the bat at this point it is still a live ball and play continues. If the ball remains fair it is a fair ball, if the ball rolls into foul territory untouched by any fielder it is a foul ball. If the bat is still moving when contact is made with the ball it becomes a question of did the ball hit the bat, or did the bat hit the ball. If bat hit the ball, then it is a dead ball.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Should we be teaching our players to toss the bat out in front of a bunt then so that it doesn't roll towards the charging infielders? This could become a new strategy. I was amazed at the two opposite answers our team received from umpires at the same tournament on the bunt situation.

And I understand what judgement has to take place to make an interference call. I just don't see how an infielder turned around and running towards the grass has a legitimate "play" on the ball. If that's the case, any one of the infielders had a play on the ball because any of them could've chased it into the outfield claiming they were making a play on the ball.

I guess it was just frustrating, especially with the interference call because it was a very close game and the runner on third had scored which would've given us the win. We were home team and time was almost up, but the interference call was out # 3 of the inning and it was a semi-final game in bracket play. I'm not taking anything away from the other team, because they were very good. It's just disappointing to see a game sway one way or another because of a judgement call.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My question is whether the SS actually had a "reasonable" chance to make a play on the ball. Sounds like a judgment call. Here is the NCAA rule on this:

12.19.1.4 Physical contact by the base runner with a fielder attempting to field a fair batted ball or a foul ball that might become fair shall be interference, provided the fielder had a reasonable chance to make a play and was prevented from doing so.
Note: If both players’ actions are appropriate to the situation and contact could not be avoided, it is inadvertent contact and neither interference nor obstruction.​

Perhaps the right call would be "inadvertent contact".

Apr 15, 2012
I am the coach of the team you were playing. First off, you guys have a great team and are the kind of team we are looking for when we travel almost 5 hours to a tournament to find great competiton. That's why you beat us 9-3 in pool play.

And I understand what judgement has to take place to make an interference call. I just don't see how an infielder turned around and running towards the grass has a legitimate "play" on the ball. If that's the case, any one of the infielders had a play on the ball because any of them could've chased it into the outfield claiming they were making a play on the ball.

I guess it was just frustrating, especially with the interference call because it was a very close game and the runner on third had scored which would've given us the win. We were home team and time was almost up, but the interference call was out # 3 of the inning and it was a semi-final game in bracket play. I'm not taking anything away from the other team, because they were very good. It's just disappointing to see a game sway one way or another because of a judgement call.

There is no doubt in my mind that you understand the judgement call because you have changed the facts in order to hear the answer you want to hear.

Fact #1 The score of the game was 5-3, so if the runner on 3 scored you would have still been down a run. (not winning the game like you said) The runner on 2nd wasn't even the winning run.

Fact #2 There WAS 2 outs so my SS and 2nd baseman were playing deep! What reason would I have to be playing them up?

Opinion here, the ball hit was a routine grounder, my SS DID charge the ball going forward and to her left to make a play on the ball, the BR and my SS colided. Ump calls interference.

I wasn't even going to reply to this cause it proves nothing. But I do actually have video of the play. My point in replying is this, this game is about always learning from mistakes and improving to get to that next level. Bottom line is, your BR made a mistake in a 10u tournament (I personally don't think it cost you the game but who knows). I am confident that she just learned a very valuable lesson about base running. The great part is she learned that lesson at 10u. Would you rather have her learn that lesson in the championship game of the HS finals? Cause I've seen bigger lessons learned there. The experiences these girls get from TB, good calls AND bad calls only help to develope them for the next level. If you dwell on what you think is a bad call, how will your players ever let it go too? Think about it!!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
Small world! It's nice to see the "other view" of a situation.

Opinion of scenario 1 (losing team): wrong call.
Opinion of scenario 2 (winning team): correct call game over.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Wow...are you telling me that the offensive and defensive coaches saw the exact same play and had two different ideas of what the call should be? Isn't it ironic that both thought the proper call is the one that benefited their team!

I'm shocked, I tell ya, shocked! :)

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Hard grounder hit between SS and the 2 base. SS was playing up in front of the baseline. Ball got through very quick. SS turned to chase after it towards the grass and collides with the base runner on her way to third. Field ump called interference and called the runner out.

That play happened to DD in a U18 game last winter. At the time I thought the ball was already past the SS and she was chasing it into the OF. I asked Blue about it afterward and he said the SS was running to field the ball- whether she could get it or not, he didn't know. he sees a collision on the base path and it is interference by someone. In that case the runner could have gone outside the baseline to avoid the collision. Lesson learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207