What Should I Expect on a Visit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 25, 2012
What should I expect on a visit to a D1, D2, D3, and Community College? How will the experiences - and potential offers - be different? Should my parents attend?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Knowing your age would help. If you haven't seen it, Cathy Aradi's book about the recruiting process is a good resource - think its available through the NFCA website.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thank you! I will look into the book. I am asking on behalf of someone who is almost 17, and a hs senior.

Mine is 17 and a senior. It's really no big deal. First time DD was nervous, after that its usually the same ole same ole.

Yes, I'd recommend your parents or a parent go with you. Sometimes it's a lot of information and two minds processing it seems to retain it better.

My DD doesn't want to go far for college, so all of ours are within driving distance. You just schedule the date/time with the coach. Meet him at the campus, and start the tour. They usually start of with small talk, "we think you'd be a great asset to our team......yada yada". Then they usually go into the history of the program, their coaching experience, maybe stellar players in the past. ( all-American etc )

Next you'll go to the softball complex, tour the fields and locker room. Then you'll head over to the athletic facility and tour.

Next you'll go the administration office to go over classes and schedules.

Get a note from the college if you go during HS hours, it's an excused absence.

Usually then you'll go back to the coaches office and discuss scholarship arrangements.

If you fly, the school pays for your ticket, your parents(s) have to pay their way.

Apr 6, 2012
Make sure you speak for yourself and answer any questions the coach has yourself. Of course, mom or dad can chime in, but the coaches like to hear from you. Usually you will get some time with the current players and often times you can stay overnight with them. Take that time to get to know them and figure out if these are girls you want to play ball with.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't forget to bring a copy of your academic record/transcript! Be prepared - do your homework about the school, team and coach (i.e., check out the school/team's website) and ask questions to make sure the school and team will be a good fit, academically and athletically. Be honest and confident, no need to exaggerate - they wouldn't be meeting with you if they didn't have an interest. And at the end, make sure the player/parent/coach are clear what the next step is. Afterwards, even if the program doesn't look like a good fit, sending a thank you note to the coach or anyone else who was particularly helpful is usually appreciated.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Don't forget to bring a copy of your academic record/transcript!

Forgot about that. You need to ask your HS to forward the transcripts to the school before the visit. Make sure it has ACT score on there.

Some colleges DO NOT accept hand delivered transcrips. ( ask before you visit )

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A player should be focused on how well the school meets her *POST-COLLEGE* needs. When your playing days are over, they are over. Your education is much more important. So, pick a school that will help prepare you for life after softball. If a school doesn't help you get to where you want to be after college, then forget it.

What should I expect on a visit to a D1, D2, D3, and Community College?

I had two DDs play college sports.

If you go to a top 20 D1 school, you will be treated like a celebrity. If you go to a D3 school, you'll be treated like a guest.

JuCos are all over the map. There are D1, D2 and D3 in Jucos just like in 4 year schools. Some JuCos have more money than some of the smaller D1 schools, so you could be treated quite well. On the other hand, some JuCos don't care about sports. Some Jucos offer lots of money, others don't. It all depends upon the athletic department. If the athletic department is considered a key component of the school, then there will be money. If it isn't, then there is no money.

At all levels, pitchers and catchers get more money than the other players.

Last edited:

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
A player should be focused on how well the school meets her *POST-COLLEGE* needs. When your playing days are over, they are over. Your education is much more important. So, pick a school that will help prepare you for life after softball. If a school doesn't help you get to where you want to be after college, then forget it.
Glad someone mentioned this, because it's the most important thing. I'll add that you could also find that an injury or sudden change of heart might shorten your career even further, and you'll want to be happy at the school without softball being a factor.

I know these visits can make you nervous and you may feel like you're being interviewed for the team, but remember that YOU are interviewing the SCHOOL. They need to earn your money, so don't be afraid to ask anything you want!

If you're looking to walk on to a CC, D3, D2, or even a less competitive D1, you'll probably have a pretty honest and laid-back visit. If you're being recruited and they really want you, the coach and the girls on the team might embellish a bit to get you on board. See if you can get a hold of the email of someone who graduated from the team and ask her what the team and school were really like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06