What is this and why do I need one.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
FP - do you believe there is a difference? One thing I have come to know is that until you really feel what it's like to turn the barrel independent of the shoulders/torso many of the words/definitions are meaningless.

I should have added to the above that rearward from behind the corner. Forward is losing the corner. More buzzwords.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP - do you believe there is a difference? One thing I have come to know is that until you really feel what it's like to turn the barrel independent of the shoulders/torso many of the words/definitions are meaningless.

I should have added to the above that rearward from behind the corner. Forward is losing the corner. More buzzwords.

Depends what other buzzwords you want to include... What about connection? I agree with the bold above. And if the turn is not independent, I consider it to be over-connected, which will ultimately lead to a push. However, it is possible to be too independent as well (in my opinion). Rather than using forward or rearward, I prefer the thought of getting behind the ball deep. At one point in time 'deep woosh' was the shiny new toy. I guess all the cool kids say 'rearward' now. :)

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Rearward is barrel moving independently of shoulders/torso. Forward is barrel connected to shoulders/torso

I believe I know what you are saying..... There is only one launch and it is reward and will continue on that path throughout the entire swing as far as the hands are concerned. Correct??

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Forward is barrel connected to shoulders/torso
That's not necessary true. I can 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball' and not be connected to the rotation of the shoulders/torso. What I would say means swinging 'out from' the body.
Why I say/use the cue of 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball' is because a hitter can 'turn the barrel' THEN go forward towards the ball. Not ideally what I would want to happen. I would like to have/see a hitter 'turn the barrel' AND go forward towards the ball. Ideally what I mean by the cue of 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's not necessary true. I can 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball' and not be connected to the rotation of the shoulders/torso. What I would say means swinging 'out from' the body.
Why I say/use the cue of 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball' is because a hitter can 'turn the barrel' THEN go forward towards the ball. Not ideally what I would want to happen. I would like to have/see a hitter 'turn the barrel' AND go forward towards the ball. Ideally what I mean by the cue of 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball.

All depends on your personal definitions of 'rearward' and 'forward'... I understand what buttermaker is saying and why he is making the distinction. And while I agree the barrel will initially travel rearward in order to travel forward, I tend to think about it more like you do in your post. I believe he is looking at 'forward' as a torso driven swing with limited barrel control. I believe you are looking at 'rearward' as disconnected. So it's all in how we define the terms. If we eliminated the terms 'rearward' and 'forward' completely from both of your definitions, I think there would be more similarities than differences between the two.

Ultimately the most important thing is how the hitter understands the terms. Does the wording really matter if the results are there?

May 3, 2014
I like the conversation. Let me add this:

The barrel is turned rearward and the rear leg is what turns it forward. Without a rear leg turning forward you will use your shoulders/torso.

Bass - yes I believe in out from. What gets this forward is the rear leg.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like the conversation. Let me add this:

The barrel is turned rearward and the rear leg is what turns it forward. Without a rear leg turning forward you will use your shoulders/torso.

Bass - yes I believe in out from. What gets this forward is the rear leg.

This is a good way of looking at it.... Reactive rear leg...

May 3, 2014
FP - yes. Reactive in that everything you do is to load the rear leg. Actively turning the barrel rearwards continues to load the rear leg until the barrel reaches a certain point (let's say parallel with ground for the sake of discussion) whereby the rear leg has no more resistance against and it bursts/snaps forward bringing the barrel forward with it. The act of tilting in the rear hip socket as the barrel is being turned rearwards intensifies the amount of loading against the rear leg.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Actively turning the barrel rearwards continues to load the rear leg until the barrel reaches a certain point
whereby the rear leg has no more resistance against and it bursts/snaps forward bringing the barrel forward with it.
Hence, why I say 'turning the barrel forward towards the ball.:eek:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How does this compare to one of the Muhl devices that clicks? Also, didn't someone on one of these sites come up with something similar where they measured a dowel rod, cut it, trimmed it and inserted it in pvc leaving room for sand to travel? So, when one made an attempt at the swing, the sand shifted to the point you could hear it and feel it? There is a chance that this idea was sent to me on my old email account which I can't get into anymore. I didn't go to the point of building one. Buttermaker, you've been around long enough whether you had heard this or not. Shawn as well.

Edited to add:

It was not Muhl but I googled clicker hitting aids and several devices came up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06