What is the best way to communicate with parents?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Calendar out 3-4 weeks before Spring or Fall playing begins
Emails for practice reminders the night before
Text messages for changes to practice plans withing 3 hours of go time
Emails for tournament updates for the weekend
Text messages for changes to tournament plans within 24 hours of event
Closed Facebook Group for fun pics parents and coaches can share among the group securely

*All emails are to me and assistant coaches and I BCC all families. This is to keep from having the clogged email inboxes when everyone replies. They can only reply to us coaches. Now if only I could to the same for texting we'd be great.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Please, please ask them not to reply to a group texts,

And explain that to us over 60 age groups. I didn't know that I was doing that, until I started getting everyone else's texts, too.

When you reply to a group text everyone in the group receives your reply. Which is ok if that's your goal. If you want to get conformation that everyone received an important text ask everyone to start a new message addressed only to you(not the group) for their reply.

Of course my dd loves group texts because she can see exactly what all her friends are up to. A conversation my go on for hours.

However, I prefer not to get 15 texts in a row of people replying to the coach.

Texting is new to me so sorry if I didn't answer that clearly, 60 is not that far away.

Feb 7, 2013
More and more teams are using sites like "Team-Snap" and "Shutterfly Share" that send e-mails to families about game schedules, practice times, and other important team announcements. A great way to manage your team's communications.

Jun 29, 2013
I send an email blast out to everyone after creating a new Group with all the emails. I also ask for a mobile # that everyone will actually check regularly. I text for cancellations and things that happen on the day of a practice or game, email if its something that can wait a day. I am thinking of the team snap though, I think it might be easier. For all the important stuff (snack schedule, team party, hairbows, etc. I let the team mom take control.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just had a brainstorm - foolproof way to make sure they promptly get everyone of your communications

1. Give them the link to DFP
2. Tell them your screen name
3. Let them know you post about all of them all of the time

Anybody brave enough to try it!

Dec 11, 2010
Twitter works great for on the fly schedule adjustments etc.

No replies, no text strings.

I don't like Facebook, will not have an account due to my employment and no matter what you do the gossip foolishness shows up there because that is what Facebook is.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Twitter works great for on the fly schedule adjustments etc.

No replies, no text strings.

I don't like Facebook, will not have an account due to my employment and no matter what you do the gossip foolishness shows up there because that is what Facebook is.

We send out e-mails with the calendar for the next 2 months. We send out mass texts to the parents when the schedule is set for a tournament or on short notice practice changes. We also have a twitter account which we use and a Facebook team page where we will post everything as well. The Facebook page is limited to only the coaches being able to post to limit the foolishness as Westwind put it:)

Edit to Add: Our organizational site also has a team specific page that has news, photos, calenders and other links.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Don't assume everyone is on Facebook and/or Twitter....I'm on NEITHER. You really need to ask the parents what means of communication they have access to and what they prefer...then go from there.

I used Email for all regular communications, updates, reminders, etc.

I would send a group text for cancellations only or a last minute change of plans...like a time or location change.

Hope everything is going well otherwise.

T

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I require coaches to tape messages to me, to cans of beer. The number of cans of beer the note is taped to dictate the importance of the message.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan