What is the best brand of softball bats? Why?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I'm buying a new bat this summer and just wanted some opinions on what is a good brand for someone like me and why. (Im 4"11 123 pounds and play HS fastpitch softball and wants something that will help me reach power(has high bat speed and increased sweet spot)) Also: A Worth's bat 21 ounce is a 31". Easton's 21 ounce is a 34". Should I buy a 34" Easton because it's the same weight that I'm used to or will having a longer bat affect my swing?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Any higher end composite 32/22 would be fine for you if your game swing is good. Easton Steath, Synergy, Demarini CF4, Miken Rain has plenty of pop, Triton, Mayhem. They all will blast the ball. Get the one you think looks cool and that you can get the best deal on and start swinging. They will all do very well.

My dilemna is will getting a longer bat but same weight that I'm used to affect my swing? I know that a longer bat will help me stretch for outside pitches(my strength is hitting outside pitches).

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Yes, a longer bat will affect your swing.

Center of mass is now located farther away from your wrists/arms/torso. The farther away it is, the more force you must be capable of generating just to have the same acceleration . So if your strength is fixed (it is) you will swing the bat slower.

But since the center of mass of the longer bat will make a larger swing radius, a bigger circle if you will, the center of mass of the bat must move faster than before, because it has farther to travel than before (compared to smaller swing radius), in the same amount of time. This means it will take an even greater force to accelerate it to the faster speed needed to just be equivalent with the swing speed of the shorter bat.

In addition, longer bat means more surface area = more drag from air, takes greater force to overcome as well.

From this you can also see why choking up speeds your swing, the COM moves back toward you, the swing path is shorter and requires less force to accelerate.

Is is enough to matter? Thats for you to decide. I watched a 13 yr old put one over LF today with a 34" bat. But shes 5'8, and about 170 lbs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish