What is a good scholarship?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2013
2014 athlete
1) D-2 Local tuition & books - academic plus athletic money for room and board
2) D-2 New York prestige school athletic money for tuition and books no room or board
3) D-3 Local all tuition & books academic
4) D-1 All tuition and books- some room and board
5) Wait it out

Looks like they all have some merit but the BIG question is what kind of education does your DD want, do these school all offer the major she is interested in, what is the environment (campus, students and faculty), has she talked to girls at these schools?, how much is the out of pocket cost to you in each scenarios (this only matter IMO if it would put you or her in a financial hardship after graduation in other words a really big number)

Remember the important part is the education softball is only for a few more years. I'm not 100% sure on timetable but I would think making a decision before schools out makes sense but there are other on the board that are a little more plugged in than me.

Dec 19, 2012
2014 athlete
1) D-2 Local tuition & books - academic plus athletic money for room and board
2) D-2 New York prestige school athletic money for tuition and books no room or board
3) D-3 Local all tuition & books academic
4) D-1 All tuition and books- some room and board
5) Wait it out

The school that offers the best education for your dd's field of study.

May 23, 2010
Education is the key, as noted in the answers above. I personally would prefer an academic scholarship, as it won't be taken away if your DD gets hurt or decides she no longer wants to play. There are some good academic scholarships out there, though they may not be at the school your kid wants to attend. I could not convince my eldest to apply to University of Alabama (she would not be able to play there - not even close to the skill level required), but they have great merit based scholarships.

Out-of-State Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama

Full tuition for 4 years is great...maybe I can convince my 9th grader to apply as she thinks the big outdoor pool slide and lazy river look pretty cool.

Is the D-3 school an academic fit for your daughter? If it is and you already know she would receive a full tuition merit scholarship, then I would take a serious look at the school.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The quality of the education and the "out of pocket" costs should weigh heavily in your decision making process. A 50% scholarship to a school whose tuition is $60K/year is $30K/year out of pocket, while a 25% scholarship to a school whose tuition is $10K/year is only $7.5K out of pocket......location would also be a big factor in our decision making process.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My DD is a 2016 - we're just beginning to explore options. I really appreciate everyone who is sharing their stories. Shannz it sounds like your DD has some wonderful choices - that's great! I hope my DD can be so fortunate someday!

It all depends so much on what she wants. Let's assume that all of the schools you listed are ones that she wants to attend and are ones that offer her first choice in field of study. Let's also assume that in looking at all of these schools, the money ends up being pretty much equal. OK - personally, I would counsel my DD to choose the most selective of the schools with the best academic reputation. It will help later on if DD decides to go on to graduate school. It also helps later on with alumni groups and networking. It is of course ultimately up to the individual to make it on her own, but all else being equal, a school with academic name recognition can get your foot in the door.

What kind of grading policy does the school have? I wish someone had told me that the school I ultimately chose prided itself on being one of the toughest schools in the nation. My little field hockey playing, happy go lucky self had a tough time competing with hardened academics in classes that were mercilessly graded on the curve.

As a factor - just a factor - I would look at the softball team rosters and guage DDs chances of making an immediate impact vs. sitting the bench. Sitting the bench isn't super fun, especially when you have to miss classes to travel out of state. (Said from personal experience. I was fortunate enough to earn myself a starting spot by junior year, but those first two years were a struggle)

Oct 14, 2008
Look at the total percentage of monies given vs total cost. In other words look at what they pay vs whats left that goes on her student loans. Also what will come out of your pocket as far as parental contribution. Money aside I agree with the above posts. Playing time, School location and How well she likes the campus will have a serious impact on her decision as well as the money issue. Roster size and position availability rates right up there also.

Good luck on her decision.

Tim

Sep 18, 2011
Personally I'm holding out for a full ride (tuition, books, room and board), monthly stipends in a brown paper bag, and a new SUV for me. I'll let you know how that works out. :) Seriosuly good luck on your decision. it's nice to have options!! Best wishes.

Dec 7, 2011
With my 2014 DD here I am on pins n needles thinking about option #5 - "waiting it out".

We are inclined to jump ay the first one that gets under my pocketbook threshold BUT should we hold out for the summer exposure season and potentially more & better offers???

If anyone out there in the community here has experience with the good/bad of waiting into the start of your senior year I would LOVE to hear from you.

signed,
desperate

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619