What does the dugout coach do on your team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2017
On any team that my daughter has been on, assistant coaches made every effort to attend all practices. The level of their participation in the practices depended on who the HC was and the level of his authority.

One HC believed his AC’s should be seen and not heard. He showed little respect or appreciation for what they did.

If there is only 1 dugout coach- their main responsibility is to do the books. When there is a 2nd dugout coach, they usually help batters/pitchers warm-up and tend to any immediate needs of the girls- first aid kits/pep talks/water runs/etc.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Interesting question. We have three coaches HC and two AC in dugout. generally HC and one AC take base coach box... often we alternate early in the season for girls to get a feel for each of us...a season progresses we tighten that up a little. In the dugout one AC is responsible for OF positioning and one AC is responsible for IF. They also "Monitor" the girls in the dugout, we're 14U and we have our players chart what opposing batters do during a game.

Feb 7, 2014
The high school I attended the head coach expected all of the coaches to attend all of the practices. Each one had a precise role within the team. As to what the "dugout coach" did varied depending on which coach it was. From my vantage point as long as all of the coaches are on the same page with the direction of the head coach you can't have too many coaches.

When looking at the team photos over the years it may have had a similar look to football team photos with all of their position specific coaches. That being said the formula added up to several state high school championships, kids that went on to play in college, and even a few that won college national championships.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is really going to vary from team to team...

* When I was a rec coach, one of the dugout coach's primary responsibilities was to keep the players in the dugout and the parents out of the dugout. Keep distractions at a minimum...
* For DD's first travel team, I was the 3rd coach and generally stayed in the dugout, so I guess I was the "dugout coach" by default. In addition to keeping the book, I tried to make sure various players were ready. I made sure all players knew the lineup and when they were "in the hole". I would make sure pitchers were ready to go if a change was needed. I would make sure potential pinch hitters were ready to go, if needed. But the part I enjoyed the most was teaching the game. I would actively engage with the players and discuss position specific items. I would ask our catcher to watch the opposing catcher's stance or footwork, when I saw something that stood out. I would discuss defensive positioning, both so that the players could learn what they needed to do in the field, but also so that they could anticipate the possibility of taking an extra base when running. I attended every practice and worked very closely with the other coaches. We had open communication between all of us, and knew exactly what the head coach's expectations were.
* When I became a head coach, our dugout coach served a similar role to what I listed above. The main difference is that he was generally unable to attend practice because of his work schedule (worked 2nd shift). But he was very knowledgeable and a valuable resource to myself and the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad