What do the best pitchers have in common?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How's the weather in your part of the country? Here, it's been depressing! Lots of rain and no sunshine. I've been stuck indoor but I'd rather be soaking up on vitamin D. At least, I got some work done.

Yesterday, I was talking to the parent of a young pitcher. During our conversation, he asked me: "What are the common characteristics of the best pitchers in the game?".

My answer was very simple: "They all have these 4 things in common: a) love for the game, b) some genetic advantage (whether be height, athleticism, natural strength/power, etc.), and c) mental toughness, and d) they're extremely hard-working."

You see, it takes 10 years (give or take) to train a world-class pitcher. We're talking about years of training and practices. And this almost year round (with usually 4-8 weeks off per year).

And training includes a) pitching workouts and b) strength and conditioning workouts. While most elite-level pitchers do a decent job of doing this in the off-season, they fail to keep doing that during the competitive season.

Most pitchers ditch the physical training component as soon as the season starts because they get too busy with practices, games and traveling. THAT'S A BIG MISTAKE!

Practices and games alone are NOT enough to maintain and preserve your strength and power and keep your body healthy. If you stop working out during the competitive season, you'll lose strength, power, velocity, endurance and physical resilience.

Now, you don't have to work out as much as you did during the off-season. The goal during the season is to maintain results. To maintain, it is recommended to keep working out 1-2 times per week.

Please, don't stop your workouts!

Coach Marc ;-)

Apr 28, 2014
It's the loneliest position on the team. And one of the only positions where your teammates who also pitch are not to sad when you fail.
What I've seen in the 4 years I've been involved (I know not long but..) is that most girls give up right before they are about to make a major breakthrough and start to really improve. It's like the tired analogy that it's darkest right before dawn. I think that all great pitchers need two sets of adults in their corner. They need the parents and a coach to both push them just hard enough but not too much. They need all of the above as well but I've seen some very talented girls give up on pitching due to a lack of inspiration from the parents or lack of confidence from the coach.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would change love of the game to love of competition. Softball is simply the outlet for their competitive drive. It takes a special person to want to compete head to head with 20-30 hitters in a game.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would change love of the game to love of competition. Softball is simply the outlet for their competitive drive. It takes a special person to want to compete head to head with 20-30 hitters in a game.

I actually agree totally with that. Very well stated Riseball!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
...most girls give up right before they are about to make a major breakthrough and start to really improve.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make 'em drink.

As they grow, their tastes and interests change.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I would change love of the game to love of competition.

Interesting. would you say that applies to all positions or more specifically to pitchers? I'm just thinking that if DD can't pitch she still wants to play, Anywhere. And I think that's because she loves the game. she loves to play sports because she loves to compete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying