What do I tell her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
As to the 55 MPH question--

The physics are pretty simple:

The amount of break is directly proportional to the speed of the ball and the spin on the ball. So, a 55 MPH curve will break about 20% less than a 65 MPH curve, assuming the same amount of spin. Of course, some people can put more spin on the ball at lower speeds.

HOWEVER: The perception of a batter is quite a bit different as to the amount of break. A really good breaking pitch travels outside the field of vision the batter. If a ball breaks enough to get outside the field of vision, then the batter literally can't see the ball, which of course makes the batter believe the ball has moved more.

A riseball is a perfect example...if the head and eyes are trained downward for a belt high pitch, and the ball is in fact at shoulder height, the batter will lose sight of the ball. So, the batter believes the ball has broken a great deal.

However, a batter who has picked up a clue from the pitcher that the pitcher will throw a rise adjusts her head and eyes so that she won't lose sight of the ball. To the batter who knows what pitch the pitcher is throwing, the ball appears only to have a slight amount of break.

Barry Sammons in his book has an equation that talks about movement. I cannot tell you if this equation is correct or not but from my physics background it is pretty reasonable. In this equation movement is increased by spin rate and time of flight. So more movement with higher spin and more movement with longer pitching distance and slower speed. Now for anyone who has ever pitched its %%$%% hard to throw a 20mph pitch with a high spin rate, but if you could..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd