what do coaches look for in tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This. You also want to see how coachable they are. If you tell them to adjust something on their swing or throwing, do they try to do it or do they ignore it, that sort of thing. As others have said, also look for overall athleticism rather than softball ability. But I will take a lesser athlete who seems to have a better attitude.

I coach rec, and my goals for the players are first to have fun, and second to get better. My experience is that is easier to accomplish with a group of enthusiastic, coachable girls than a group of better athletes who aren't all that interested.

You're doing it right!!

I agree 100% that attitude and effort are a huge difference-maker.

Aug 5, 2012
You can teach kids to go harder than they think they can. They can be taught to hustle. You can’t teach speed. :)
Man, I know a few track coaches who would beg to differ. At the younger ages, changing poor mechanics like heel to toe or not pumping their arms can make a difference. =)

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Man, I know a few track coaches who would beg to differ. At the younger ages, changing poor mechanics like heel to toe or not pumping their arms can make a difference. =)

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I agree you can teach any kid to get faster, but your not going to turn a 3.5 H-1st kid into a 2.8 H-1st kid. If given a choice, I’ll take the 2.8 kid everyday.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why I am not too concerned with raw speed is that the decision to run is often more important then actual speed. Obviously it would be nice to have both, sign them up.

Mar 28, 2016
I always look for the kids who can get bat to ball. If you can find someone from a higher league to pitch to the girls trying out, this would be ideal. Give them 10 slower pitches and then give them 10 pitches that would be considered fast for their age group.
I will take the kid that can dial it in at the plate over a speedster any day.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I always look for the kids who can get bat to ball. If you can find someone from a higher league to pitch to the girls trying out, this would be ideal. Give them 10 slower pitches and then give them 10 pitches that would be considered fast for their age group.
I will take the kid that can dial it in at the plate over a speedster any day.

At the younger ages I will take the super fast kid every time, in many cases the fast kid is an athlete. I personally feel that a kid can be taught to hit a ball but you can not teach elite speed. Elite speed is something you either have or you don't, sure you can improve on speed but that slow kid never be a track star. I agree with you post in terms of older kids. If you are talking about a 16u girl that is fast and still can't hit the ball she is not going to do you any good.

Hitting is a skill that many can learn, speed is genetic. IMO.

Mar 28, 2016
At the younger ages I will take the super fast kid every time, in many cases the fast kid is an athlete. I personally feel that a kid can be taught to hit a ball but you can not teach elite speed. Elite speed is something you either have or you don't, sure you can improve on speed but that slow kid never be a track star. I agree with you post in terms of older kids. If you are talking about a 16u girl that is fast and still can't hit the ball she is not going to do you any good.

Hitting is a skill that many can learn, speed is genetic. IMO.

This is where we disagree. A good swing can be learned, but hitting a ball flush consistently is one of the most innate abilities in sports. It is not your typical athletic ability. That's why great hitters come in all shapes and sizes (athletic and non-athletic frames).

Hand eye coordination can be improved upon slightly, but reaction time is something you are born with. The electrical impulse that goes from your eyes - to your brain - to your hands - and then causes you to trigger, is a skill you cannot improve upon.

That's why many believe great MLB hitters are born and not made.

You can increase your odds at the plate by improvements in your swing, learning pitchers tendencies, etc., but you will never get to the level of that one kid who is just a natural.

At a young age I look for kids who aren't afraid to stand in the box and can get the bat to ball consistently. Once you teach these kids how to swing properly, they will usually become elite hitters.

Aug 12, 2014
I agree you can teach any kid to get faster, but your not going to turn a 3.5 H-1st kid into a 2.8 H-1st kid. If given a choice, I’ll take the 2.8 kid everyday.

All else being equal, sure. But everyday I'll take the 3.5 kid who loves softball and busts her butt over the 2.8 kid who half-asses it all the time.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
All else being equal, sure. But everyday I'll take the 3.5 kid who loves softball and busts her butt over the 2.8 kid who half-asses it all the time.
So, now my burner is a half a$$er? JK. :) Remeber, this thread is about what you do you look for at tryouts for 8U-12U Rec Ball. I like speed. I am a fan of small ball. I like to put pressure on the defense to make errors by bunting, steals, delay steals, etc. Speed is the most effective and easiest advantage to recognize at tryouts for the younger ages, IMO. I’d be willing to bet that all the fast girls will all be picked by the time the draft is halfway over.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Personally, I agree with you. However, you can have your speed as long as I can have my long ballers. My defense against the bunt is solid. My catchers are strong enough to make that throwdown on a rope to second. My catchers are also smart enough to make sure that a delay is not possible nor probable since they direct our pitchers 8-10' closer to the base and make sure they get the out if tried.

OTOH, long ballers have no need of that. They hit it and runners advance unless it's caught. Just sayin'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi