What criteria should be used for HS coaches when determining season MVP, off/def play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I must say though, I have been keeping stats for a long while and consider myself pretty decent at it. My comments are to all who believe that stats may not play a major part in an award selection is this; wouldn't the player with the highest BA, SLG, SB, FDG, and yes maybe RBI and OBP also be the player who is most valuable and the one most needed in the lineup? Assuming of course that the stat keeper is accurate. Also, NoMo, we begin our counted stats in pre-season and go thru post, giving each starting player at least 110 at bats. I think that is probably enough time to see how your players are developing, especially if you have had them a couple years.

That being said, I have a player who’s OBP is quite good but all she can manage to do is draw walks. I have another player who is leading in almost all areas except RBI's however she is my leadoff and always has that first at bat which takes away any RBI opportunity for that time at bat. It also seems that almost all HS stats show the 1b and C to have the highest FLD % and my team is not alone in that but are they my best fielders? Not a chance. I like looking at the BA as long as I know that any ROE or FC is judged the same for everyone. And SLG as long as I know that the extra bases were awarded correctly. And yes, Rowdy, my pitcher is great and has a ton of strikeouts this year.......but the machanics at the plate have deteriorated and we cannot always count on her getting on base with any consistancy......Thoughts?

Your thought is pretty good as fld % stats typically go to 1B as they get almost all the putouts, wheras just focusing on offensive stats is just as bad. You state that you have a great pitcher, but she can't hit, well how many times has she gotten you out of an inning? Or gotten you a win based on her pitching performance. Stats really mean nothing when picking the MVP. I would let the players choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 9, 2011
I agree with letting the players have some input regarding the MVP pick, but not all or it would become a popularity contest. However, I feel that stats should be used, at least in conjunction with other factors mentioned in this forum, when choosing def / off player of the year.

Thanks Coach Kevin. I see your points. This player however is in our third spot and should be our power hitter. Just wasn't there this year. Our 2b, in my opinion was our best player overall. She does tend to get overlooked because she has been consistent every year and everyone now takes that for granted. They expect it. She would definitely be missed! AND she does happen to have the best stats. Parent focus (and the more inexperienced non select team players) tends to go to the player that makes a couple of great, but not typical, plays - but that’s another story!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1