What Constitutes a Hitting Slump?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What Constitutes a Hitting Slump

• Hitting poorly for 10 at bats or more

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Hitting poorly for 25 at bats or more

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Hitting poorly for 50 at bats or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hitting poorly for 100 at bats or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not measured in at bats

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2021
10 AB is a small but nice sample size of a potential trend. If you get to 25 AB then you are roughly around 10 games into a kid having a slump or no production.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What constitutes a slump?
When the answer is hitting poorly for 10 ABs. Does that mean hitting poorly or not getting as many hits as you might like? You can have 7 out of 10 quality ABs and be 1 for 10. So, when you ask hitting poorly, I take it as you had poor ABs 10 times. Thats a slump and needs addressing. When I see players slumping, they usually have abandoned the yes, yes, yes approach and are batting defensively. Example: Count is 3 and 1. Player is thinking, I don't want to swing at ball 4 (should be thinking 3 and 1, I going to smoke this one) then player indecisively frails at the ball down the middle with an all-arm swing and hits a weak grounder to the 2nd baseman. Slumps are usually mental.

Oct 4, 2018
What constitutes a slump?
When the answer is hitting poorly for 10 ABs. Does that mean hitting poorly or not getting as many hits as you might like? You can have 7 out of 10 quality ABs and be 1 for 10. So, when you ask hitting poorly, I take it as you had poor ABs 10 times. Thats a slump and needs addressing. When I see players slumping, they usually have abandoned the yes, yes, yes approach and are batting defensively. Example: Count is 3 and 1. Player is thinking, I don't want to swing at ball 4 (should be thinking 3 and 1, I going to smoke this one) then player indecisively frails at the ball down the middle with an all-arm swing and hits a weak grounder to the 2nd baseman. Slumps are usually mental.

Yeah, my DD isn't batting well in the early start of middle school ball based on BA, but she's smoked the ball right to players almost every time. Certainly not a slump, and certainly nothing we're concerned about. Personally a 10 AB stretch isn't much. That can be 3 games, half of a Saturday tournament.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How do we define "slump"?

I think of a slump as poor performance not attributed to an obvious cause. No huge mechanical issue has cropped up. No change in opponent talent level (in the macro). Not a bunch of bad luck on rockets (so you can't only look at recent results).

I'm not sure you can measure it in ABs, though you can probably retroactively look at recent ABs to see how long the slump has lasted.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414