Weird Play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
This happened to my DD team last weekend in KC. The outcome didn't matter as our team run ruled the other team; but it was odd.

We're at bat, bases loaded, batter hits fly ball between SS and LF. LF drops ball. Runner on 3rd tags and goes home. Here is where it gets weird: 3rd baseman, our 3rd base coach and runner on 2nd all hear field umpire call Infield fly. Runner on 2nd stays on 2nd, Batter runs to 1st. Runner originally on 1st caught between 1st and 2nd, not knowing where to go as right side of field doesn't hear the IF called and no signal. Defense throws ball to 3rd and 2nd, thinking there are force outs. When play finally stops, Our coach informs 1st base coach of the IF call. Batter/runner now on 1st is removed by our coach, runners that started on 1st and 2nd return there. I never understood how IF could be called if the LF is the one trying to make the play, but whatever. Everyone seems content with how things stand.

2 batters later, runners on 1st and 2nd have already scored and 2 different runners are on base. Home plate umpire says 2 outs. Our coach stops and says, "Blue, we only have one out on the IF". He says, "There was no infield fly, the outs are the force outs at 2nd and 3rd". Coach says, "Those 2 have already scored". He said "They shouldn't have been on the base" We removed the runs from the official score book as there was no arguing with the guy and the FU and opposing coach aren't saying anything.

There's no question this was screwed up, but my question is - if the PU didn't know that IF was called, and believed the force outs to be good, shouldn't he have removed the base runners at the end of the original play? Also, shouldn't the FU have said he had called the IF? This is ASA 14UA. The FU was texting the entire game. Fortunately, the majority of the umpires we encountered were very good. Sorry for the rant, but this was bizarre.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Boy

Have not experienced the same situation but when “strange” things come up, it is time for a quick meeting between the Managers and umpire.

You should be able to rely on both Managers integrity to help the umpire to unwind the play, regardless of which way the shoe falls.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Boy

Have not experienced the same situation but when “strange” things come up, it is time for a quick meeting between the Managers and umpire.

You should be able to rely on both Managers integrity to help the umpire to unwind the play, regardless of which way the shoe falls.

Unfortunately, there was no discussing anything with this guy. Seemed to be nice, but full of himself. He wouldn't even look at our scorekeeper's book and he had the official book. In the other coach's defense, I'm not sure she heard the call. She may have been as confused as the spectators were.

The thing that had me dumbfounded was the discussion happened 2 batters after the original play occurred. Both batters had hits and 3 runs had scored since.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I never understood how IF could be called if the LF is the one trying to make the play, but whatever

This is the only thing I can help you with...if the ball "could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort", then it doesn't matter who makes the catch. It is an IF.

But, beyond that, I don't have a clue what was going on. I'm glad it was you and not me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619