walking the runner back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
hey all, parent of a pitcher here looking for others thoughts. Newish team this fall,12U, only 3 returning players from last spring/summer. Both catchers are new to the team. anyhow, heres my question. Both catchers like to "walk" the runner back if they are on second on third. Now i hate it. I don't really see the point. But again i'm not a catchers parent and don't know alot about the catcher postion regaurding this. Seems to me a nice crisp throw back to the pitcher would be all it takes to keep the runner close. If the runner decides to delay steal and the catcher gets the ball to the pitcher fast. it seems the pitcher would be at fault and not the catcher.

plus, walking the runner back every pitch just burns the clock and kills the tempo. Is it a typical play to have the catcher do this? I've have seen catchers do it, but, not all the time and almost always with just a runner on third.

It almost drove me crazy this past weekend.

Feb 3, 2011
Even at 10u, that's the catcher's call and it generally just depends on the game situation or catcher's preference. I like catchers who have strong awareness of the game, even when they're on the other team.

Jan 13, 2010
I like catcher that are aware as well. Just don't get what walking a runner back will buy you that a nice crisp throw back to the pitcher won't. If the pitcher can't get the ball and throw it to third or home to get the delayed steal, i find it to be the pitchers fault. Maybe a fielder as well.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The one thing I notice about this is catcher will get into a very bad habit if not instructed correctly.What I mean is just saw this again this Sat at a game.Girl on third takes lead catcher walks here back to third. Catcher then turns her back and walks back to behind plate.Runner steals home as soon as catcher turns her back.I could be wrong but a good quick throw to pitcher will stop this.Pitcher could either throw to the base or just ignore the runner.Then the look back rule will handle the rest.

Jan 13, 2010
Yes, catcher walks runner back to third...if this is gonna take place 1B has to cover home or just what you say will happen evertime. all the runner has to do is run right at the catcher,after she throws the ball, she is probably in the basepath and get OBS.

Feb 3, 2011
Sometimes it's a mind game. I know this site is against coaches getting into the heads of 12yo girls, but there should be nothing wrong with them doing it to one another. I've got no problem with a little gamesmanship among the players at this age.

Catchers are responsible for stopping anyone from crossing home plate. Real catchers take that responsibility seriously and will do whatever they think will gain them an edge over the opposing baserunners.

It's like a pitcher throwing a changeup on the 1st pitch of a game (after warming up with all fastballs) to let the opposing team know she's got it. I know how hard it can be to be a pitcher's parent, but you've got to allow the girls to manage the game inside the game.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
DGD was walking runners back in the spring and many times I told her just throw the ball back to the pitcher. Finally, her catching coach instructed her to throw the ball as hard back to the pitcher as they threw it to her. She liked that idea! DGD has sight of the bases and keeps an eye on the runners and will shout at the pitcher 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending where the ball needs to be thrown, if at all. Since she has started this, there have been no delayed steals, but several lazy runners have been thrown out at 1st not getting back in time. Oh, this is 12u ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree with the OP. Crisps throws will take care of the problem.

Another thing you can do is have the pitch wheel and throw to the runner’s base as soon as they receive the ball back from the C.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Question how does walking the baseruner back to the bag get into the runners head? A quick hard throw will get not only into the baserunners head ,but all of the baserunners heads.A hard accurate throw will will get there quicker then runing/walking to the back everytime.A catcher who can throw hard and accurate wil have even the coach rethinking about stealing or big leads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi