Vinci RCV125 or Nokona

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2012
My daughter's Heart of The Hide fastpitch glove finally bit the dust (holes in the lining, strap broke, and palm lace broke). Cost to overhaul the glove by an experienced Rawlings glove maker is approx $200, which is a little more than we paid for the glove. Daughter really loves this glove and it has been the best glove we have used to date. The glove kept its form really well with a nice pocket. Rawlings discontinued the heart of the hide for fastpitch, and only offers cheaper gloves for fastpitch now.....bummer.:mad:

She also had two Mizuno gloves (prospect and MVP grade) that broke in funny and did not keep their shape. I believe this was due to the break in notch on the Mizuno gloves. Leather also seemed to be a cheaper grade than the Rawlings heart of the hide.

I am considering replacing the Rawlings glove with either a Vinci or a Nokona. I have seen the Nokona's in person, and they appear to be very well made with quality leather. Not completely sold on the pocket as it appears to be a little wider than other gloves. Seriously considering a Vinci rcv125 which uses heavy kip leather. I know Vinci has a good reputation with catcher's mitts, but not sure about their pitcher/SS glove.

Daughter plays short stop, pitcher, and some outfield. (Good chance she will play outfield when she moves up to next age group and also of jv team. Daughter is almost 13 and going into the seventh grade and has played tb for 6 yrs and the next glove will get a great deal of use.

Anyone have experience with the vinci kip leather gloves infield gives?
Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on the differences between Nokona and Vinci.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
I see you are from Summerville. I am from Ware Shoals, in the Upstate close to Greenwood. I can't comment on the Nakona but my 10 year old Daughter has a Vinci BV1929-L. It is a 12.5" closed web and the leather is 5 oz Kip. My DD plays third base and pitches. The 1929-L is a very nice glove and is well padded. Casedawg who is a Vinci Rep and a member on this sight steered me toward this model over the RCV125. The BV1929-L is an open backed glove without the adjustable velcro strap. My personal opinion is that an open back glove will outlast ones with the velcro strap. My DD has small hands and fit is not an issue at all. Again, I have never owned a Nakona but I can say that the Vinci BV1929-L is a very well made glove.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Never used a Vinci, but I am very happy with the Nokona my DD uses, and my Nokona catchers mitt. The full leather version can be a little heavy so you might want to consider the kangaroo hide version.

Dec 15, 2012
Mfoster thanks for the reply.
Any issue with the BV1929 being a baseball glove? I am concerned about a "12 softball being too large......
I agree that the open back glove would be more durable. My daughter really likes to tighten her using the Velcro otherwise she complains about it being too loose. I saw somewhere where girls prefer the Velcro models. Currently she is using a backup Easton glove which has a closed back. I will monitor how she does over the next couple days with it.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
My DD is playing 10u and using an 11" ball so I can't say how the BV1929-L fields a 12" ball. The pocket was formed using a 12" ball however and it seemed to have plenty of room. At this time it is speculation on my part but I feel that it would be a good glove for the 12" ball also. Ask Casedawg for his opinion on the BV1929-L. He will be a great help to you. Good luck on your search!

Jul 9, 2012
Daughter uses a Nokona infielders glove and a Vinci catchers mitt. Both are well made and durable. Both take time to break in. IMHO, both are quality products. The Nokona is a heavier glove to the Vinci infielders glove, so make sure she is comfortable with the weight. My daughter went through a couple of months getting used to period with the Nokona, but absolutely loves it now. She also had used a Rawlings before her Nokona.

Jun 21, 2010
DD has the black Nokona Buckaroo glove. It's kept it's shape well with a nice pocket. She takes great care of it. This is her second year using it and it's in excellent shape. She won't use another glove.

Aug 8, 2010
The BV1929-L handles a 12 inch ball well for a pitcher/infielder. My oldest daughter used it in 12 and 14U no problem. The next step up would be the AB1974-L. It plays as a deep 12.5 inch (listed as a 12.75).

Nokonas are heavier than Vincis in my experience. Send me an email to howell@syrupcity.net and I will get you some pics with balls in the pocket. Thanks

Casey

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles