Video Clip-12 Year Old - Feedback wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2012
Looking for some suggestions on my DD pitching She will not do the IR. Thanks <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VQspiIJ5olk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
You say she will not do the IR is it because she needs help learning how to do it, or thats not what she is being taught and won't change? Just wondering? And yes the video is private, cant see it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Stupid boss wants me to do something, so I'll look more in depth in a few. One thing that really stands out is, it sure looks like she is stepping WAY out of the power line. It's hard to tell just how far from a side view. Are you seeing a pitching coach?

"I'll be back". :)

Jan 25, 2011
IMO, if she doesn't learn to throw with open mech.. She will not get to the next level. Both of you and your dd, need to sit down and watch videos of the best in the world and see how they pitch. She will also more then likley, will have injuries in her future. You need to start now and learn IR. I'm still not sure what you mean in your post about not doing IR as some call it. I call it the natural way to pitch. Thats my 2 cents, I'm sorry, I by no means am knocking or trying to be mean to your dd or you.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
No expert but she isn't getting open, not landing on power line and has a bowlers finish with her drag foot. It looks as if she is using IR but some of the finish is cut off. Get to stand with her left foot at a 45 deg angle to the power line drag foot up on toe all weight should be on front foot but not leaning forward and get her throwing into her glove

Casey

Make it fun to compete
Mar 2, 2012
No expert also....but arm action looks good and loose for a 12 yr old. I would focus on using a 'powerline' as she severely steps out and leans. Powerline with some hip drills. Btw- what are you reminding her to do on the 'finish'?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not an expert, but my two observations are that she never really seems to turn her hips to 'get open'. She can probably compensate for it when throwing a fastball, but she will have trouble throwing movement pitches, especially screwballs, unless she learns to rotate her hips.

Second observation is that she seems to 'bowl' to much with her drag foot. The line in the dirt should like like a Nike 'swish' instead of a straight line behind her plant foot. She loses velocity by doing this and is not in a good position to field balls hit back at her.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, her whole body is coming forward after she throws the ball. Pitching is about momentum transfer. Whenever you see her take a step after she throws, she is not getting full transfer of the momentum to the ball, resulting in reduced speed. She should finish with her right foot in line with and behind her left foot.

Second, she is leaning forward at release. At the end of any pitch, stop after release. You'll see that her upper body is in front of her feet. Her body should be *BEHIND* her feet after release.

Here is the drill to fix these problems. (I call it a "Carolina Walk Through".) She gets a few feet behind the mound, walks forward, throws the ball as she crosses the mound. After she throws the ball, she is to stay on her left foot after release, and she is not to lower her right foot to the ground until *AFTER* she receives the ball back from the catcher. If she leans forward at release, she'll fall forward. It sounds harder than it is. A good pitcher can do this drill all day long.

She will not do the IR.

Oh, she won't eh? Please do this: Go to the pitch starting around 35 seconds. Step through the video one frame at a time with her. Tell her to pay very close attention to the frames from 38 to 40 seconds. Tell her to watch her wrist and arm carefully, especially when her hand turns over and the palm is down. Tell her to explain to you how her wrist and hand moved. Then, ask her who taught her to do IR.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish