Velocity Difference Between 12U and 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Is there much in your experience? From what I have seen(all 3 12U tournaments we played had 14U at the same times) there really is not much of a difference. Now I'm speaking of the better 12U pitchers. Sure, you still see the low 40s bowler....but it astonishes me how close the better 12U's are to the 14U's with velocity. The one thing I DID notice is that the 14U pitchers seem to have much better command than the 12U pitchers. I guess I always looked at where DD is now (11 playing 12U) and keep thinking to myself wait til she's 13/14....she'll be throwing laser beams. So is it possible that my ever long quest for MORE SPEED may be coming to an abrupt end? She's hit somewhat of a plateaue over the past 3 months, and I attribute it to working on her change and drop more so than velocity. I have no doubt....velocity wise, she could walk into a tournament and step into the circle against a 14U team and not a player on the other team would say...wow, she's slow.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think the really exceptional players tend to skip 14U and go straight to 16U or even 18U. At least that's what I seem to be hearing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You have read the stories about 8th graders verbaling to schools? Those 14U girls are going straight to 18U or 16U teams.

Many really good 14U pitchers jump to 16U, so you likely aren't seeing the best.

So is it possible that my ever long quest for MORE SPEED may be coming to an abrupt end?

Each MPH over 55 gets more difficult. If she will peak at say, 20 YOA, and she is throwing 50 MPH now, she will add about one MPH each year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have used a radar gun at tournaments for many years and I do not see a huge difference. There are obviously more girls throwing hard at 14U than 12U but to your point a top 12U can hold her own against most 14U teams. I have also found that the typical top speeds from 10U all the way through college is wildly exaggerated.

My daughter started pitching in 10U and is now in college. Expect to see plateaus in terms of speed. It is quite common.

To sluggers point it took my DD 3 years and a lot of work to go from 66 to 69mph.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I have also found that the typical top speeds from 10U all the way through college is wildly exaggerated.

My daughter started pitching in 10U and is now in college...To sluggers point it took my DD 3 years and a lot of work to go from 66 to 69mph.

Either you typo'd your DD's speed...are brilliant at delivering ironic comedy...or your DD is a top D1 pitcher in the country :)

CP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Her max was 66 in High School and this fall was clocked at 67 vs Florida in the Fall . She was clocked at 69 last weekend. She hit 69 only twice but worked at 67 - 68. Weight training and gaining 20 lbs has certainly helped. Now if she could only get a consistent change up :).

Why not:

http://www.dakstats.com/WebSync/Pag...&sg=WBA&sea=JUCWBA_2014&team=15416&plr=113049

Select -> Gm by Gm Pitching OPP Batting in the drop down for details.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks. She is having a good year and is with a great program. She throws really hard and has great movement as her Rev Fire numbers are in the high 20's low 30's. But she needs to mature as a pitcher and get back some of the control she is missing. In addition to the K's she is racking up quite a few walks. And then there is that damn change up. Guess what we will work on relentlessly this summer? :)

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
In our travel ball club, the difference between our 12U and 14U pitchers is significant. The two teams frequently practice together, which even further highlights the gap.

Comparing our 14U to our 16U the gap seems not quite as wide.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd