Varsity Letters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I hope I will say this correctly-it's the fact that you made the varsity team (we have cuts even at modified), that you stayed on the team ( grades, no disciplinary issues) and that you contributed to the team. This includes those payers who played little to none but were always positive, always cheering on their teammates, ALWAYS hustling in practice, always looking to get better and NEVER complaining about playing time. In other words, good team mates and good team players. These would be my expectations and the players would know this.
As a side note, at a school 2 years ago, I was asked to name a MVP. The unstated assumption was that the "star" athlete would be chosen. I passed on her. She was indeed physically gifted but wasn't close to a team mate or team player. I gave the award to 2 of my best hustlers.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Sports like Cross country or track where they'll let anybody compete are a little different.

From my post here and asking friends of mine who played HS sports, this seems to be an important determining factor.

I just looked, and we currently have 137 girls in 9th-12th grade. I don't cut anybody, though this year I expect to have enough interest to have a JV team.

We really do let anybody compete. In schools with a hundred girls who try out, I absolutely agree that just making varsity is an accomplishment. But for us, if you've played before you're almost certainly going to make the varsity team. I also play everybody quite often (we have lots of blowouts in both directions, so everyone gets into most games). I tried to use the criteria I came up with to see how many of the players would have lettered last year. It was difficult since I didn't track or didn't have certain things, but I'm pretty sure at least 10 of the girls would have gotten it. And I think the others would have done that little bit extra to earn it if the letter was dangling out there for them.

I should also add that we already do (or did last year) participation awards for all the players, so I don't know if we need another one.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's middle school cut players. Niece was cut sofmore year, 300 players tried out.

Good luck, you just need to try to figure it out and adjust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi