USSSA World Series/Road to Orlando to move in a couple of years

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Rumors here in Orlando (sources are pretty reputable) are indicating that in 2018 it will move from Orlando/ESPN-Disney to Vero Beach when the complex there is complete (plus Dodgertown and other local fields).

Apr 25, 2014
We just got back from wwos. And all but 1 game we played at wwos had a grass infield. Really???? I didn't like it

Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
We played on the grass infields on Sunday and Wednesday, so two games. I hated that but the other 7 were played on dirt, Orlando. Flamin Fury 12uA

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We played on the grass infields on Sunday and Wednesday, so two games. I hated that but the other 7 were played on dirt, Orlando. Flamin Fury 12uA

Yeah, anything below ESPN Field 6 is grass infield. That said they removed the mounds and put the bases in dirt. That is much more than other parks would do. I beleive if you stayed in the Winners Bracket you didn't end up on these fields but I could be wrong (we played the softball diamondplex every game we played at WWOS)Also they didn't use the FAR fields at WWOS which was also a good move - hate getting to those.

The twwo offsite locations are decent - I like Osceola. Fortune Road is different - the dirt there is weird but the facility is nice enough.

Jul 26, 2016
I work for USSSA on the slowpitch side and it is true they are moving their headquarters from Kissimmee, Florida to Viera, Florida on the east coast about 45 minutes from Orlando. They are building a 13 field complex with all artificial turf fields at the site of teh Washington Generals spring training facility. Note that is Viera not Vero. Two different cities.

-gJoNk37FYj6EMO0prCE3p4IND22rFw40OQn8SLeYkx5XsX1aktjk7oo3XVy9ULwYziN-u3I_RE6BzGYuPqh92xcvIrMjkwk-KO-PybiFkRVU9tbCYSQESh9JwSChgqeqbOz5erp2_t4Vm0UE2lDUzDkLXAFBxWDEZYZ9ksv_9593ST7KDCBcLTvvCEC1E8S9rn5LKa9qw9_vhXu5kunrrsGxEFnrTyGq04PlYmx0R4ItazdJdmyeR5F4FLoSns6q6B_uLmWklzLA9hQwPOOQSmQOea8L6y42LPOruUSlH3k4ZnSp0eveH44kSt-WHOV_0mUXv-xtTwzBHpRWtzDHw89PLK5JI5SR_lhLLnw9AcbdlUn5bxpO-3FW_d8Pvm_3e7WnwC8zbQGSzSv10H02Zp7BA6fUtH5SsgnwUDQsGyNLiwLfdo62oGjPIW8PZvBZWP6xL8M9UHC2WBpn9PoWuD-SKUMkWotvR-GGRMUtG3iV79dU-GcucaTjyraJWGPHcqu_GqnPmWqVbItHdeGqzaiX1casuVECiLi8Ywq8EBmRep0C37sOGZPpEmraaWWxehTnLpdlPjz4ZHQryS5PqIJNdek1ABY=w729-h971-no

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Are these the same type of artificial turf fields that Seminole County built last year? Back in May the umpires shoes literally melted and tournaments have since been cancelled. Diamond 9 was even floating the idea of playing in the morning and evenings only in order to avoid the heat of the day. The graphic above shows only baseball fields, so no softball?

Jul 26, 2016
Are these the same type of artificial turf fields that Seminole County built last year? Back in May the umpires shoes literally melted and tournaments have since been cancelled. Diamond 9 was even floating the idea of playing in the morning and evenings only in order to avoid the heat of the day. The graphic above shows only baseball fields, so no softball?

I did not know that turf got so hot but they are planning to do turf at the new USSSA complex. The quad on the right of the picture are baseball fields. The quad in the middle are slowpitch softball fields, the quad on the left is kids sized fields. All would use temp fences when needed.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD's team played in Seminole in May on the turf. Some of the girls molded cleats were coming apart. They held a tournament there last week and didn't play games between 2pm and 4pm. Not the best idea to put a turf field in Florida. I heard the temps were around 115 on the fields in heat of the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG